• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't relink layer with higher resolution file nor save after import

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a large format mural that is 433.5" wide and 129" high so I've designed it on a 10% scale. The design is all vector graphics except for the main background image that spans the entire wall. After sending the design to the printing company, they showed that the background raster image is pixelated. I used Alienware Blowup plugin in photoshop to increase the resolution to full size (433"x129) at 100 dpi, they attempted to replace the linked file with the new 100 dpi file and it looked the same. I made a second version at 300 dpi with the blowup plugin and they tried to replace it and its still showing the orignal low res file in the project. The 300 dpi file is 15gb large. The layer is not relinking, once you select the layer and navigate to it in the links tab, click the relink button, select the new file, it just goes back to the document and no change was made.

My solution to this was to import the 300 DPI resolution file into the illustrator document, then resize it down to 10% scale, adjust it's position, then delete the original lower resolution image that couldn't be relinked. It looks great, but Illustrator is now giving me problems trying to save the file. When saving as an .ai file (not even trying to embed the links or package), it either goes into a "not responding" state or shows a slow moving progress bar that goes to about half or more then gives an error message saying it couldn't be saved.

I've tried importing the vector elements into photoshop, but there are many dropshadows on the vector art so when importing an .eps or .png, it flattens the transparency and brings in a white background with it. I'm at a loss as to what I need to do to get this submitted and printed, the graphics department at this company doesn't seem helpful at all.

Adobe Illustrator Ver 24.2.3
Windows 10, Ver 1909, 19363.418 OS build, 64-bit OS

Intel i7-5820K @ 3.30 GHZ, 32GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro P4000

Let me know if theres any additional info needed to help me troubleshoot this issue!

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When going from illustrator do you save as PDF? If you do not conciously save as a PDF then it will save with Illustrator default settings on the PDF (300 PPI). Also is your image started as a Print document so that you have Raster Effects settings set to 300PPI (if you want 100ppi and are working at 10% I guess the target should be 1000 PPI for raster effects settings)? Try save as PDF-x4  and set resolutions to not resample images (or set sampling to 1000 PPI ). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines