• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Select Text using a selection tool

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem selecting a text to edit. When I double-click a text using the selection tool, it switches to the text tool automatically; however, when I installed Illustrator CC 2017 on my laptop this feature doesn't work.

Help, please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset your preferences and try again.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the app has the same preferences on another machine and it works pretty fine. I wonder what seems to be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the known issue with the update to 2018 with the preferences. Here's more info on that CC 2018 Illustrator—Don't Import previous settings and preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on Adobe illustrator CC 2017. I didn't update to any later versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops. Sorry I misread what you installed. Have you considered updating to Illustrator 2018 CC?

Also, could it be something in how you have your text in a particular file--outlined, on a locked layer, or something else? Have you tried it on a new file with a single text box?

If it's not selecting the text, can you describe what is it doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reset the preferences did you restart before starting the application? Clearing the system cache for preferences might help. But let's see if it is a user issue. Can you start your system under another user? If the problem persists then it is not the user preferences. You might need to uninstall/reinstall the applciation and if all else fails use the Adobe cleaner.

Have you updated your system software? Another question is have you added any third party products or used any beta software? These all can create havoc on the system. I once used beta technology and we had to reinstall my entire system since it messed up all Adobe and Apple video apps.

Here is the link for the Adobe Cleaner but I would try the software on the same system under another user so you can see if you need to take drastic measures.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katie Houghton I've tried all these steps. Nothing happens. This drives me mad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the text tool itself does not select the whole text when using it. I should select the first line then drag the entire path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to resolve an issue always start simple and moved to complex.

Check the simple things. Have you tried a new document. If it works then yes maybe something is locked or the file is corrupted. Try a different version of the same software.

So the application is not working on your original user nor the new user on the same system. If this is true then we know it is not the user preferences. Next question is did this just start after doing something to your system? Installing 3rd party apps or updating the system? If this is the case we might assume that created the problem. If the problem happened after installing the application then we want to uninstall,  use the cleaner then re-install. If you are in a business then contact IT. (We found in one company I was supporting, IT had two images for the setting up for Adobe Enterprise... one worked great and the other made a mess of the applications.)  Let me know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried holding the Ctrl key down while left-clicking on the text, its another way to access the text and type in more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but it comes and goes. It's very strange. And it's not just this issue. Other issues occurring at the same time like the menu buttons don't display all the different options in the pop out.

Any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wardv41459667  schrieb

I'm having the same issue but it comes and goes. It's very strange. And it's not just this issue. Other issues occurring at the same time like the menu buttons don't display all the different options in the pop out.

Any update on this?

Did you already rebuild the preferences?

When did you last restart the computer?

Does the computer meet the specifications?

Any third party plugins?

And since you have additional issues: please create a new thread. We can't help several people with individual issues all in one thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and it's maddening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cocobug123  schrieb

Same issue and it's maddening

Same issue as what?

Please

1. Create a new thread

2. Tell us your system an version in the new thread

3. Tell us the exact issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution for you .Check if it wokrs or not..

Open AI and then >> Edit >> Preferrence>>Selection And Anchor Display >> Object Selection By path only(Make sure it is Unchecked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may have accidentally activated Hide Edges 

Try hitting (cmd/ctrl+ H),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines