• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't snap to objects in illustrator. not as simple as it sounds...

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up until today, I have been working in illustrator fine. I could snap one object to another, when drawing lines, line segment ends anchor points could snap easily, align things to other anchor points as i'm drawing them, etc.. Now that is not the case.Also, before I could click right in the middle of an object and it would select it, now I must click on the actual path that surrounds and object.

I'm working in Windows with CS4. I have went to the "view" menu and made sure "snap to point" is turned on, it is. I even tried snap to grid. None of this works.

Please, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Smart Guides.

Command-u or view->smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on CS3, so don't know for sure, but I think I remember reading that they'd changed the default snapping behavior to require that you hold down a modifier (control, alt, something.. ) to get it to snap to the cursor, otherwise, it wants to snap to the shape...

Or is it the other way around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, thanks for the reply. this doesn't seem to be the answer i was looking for though. first, even if i press ctrl or something, it doesn't help to get it to snap, but aside from that, if it would snap to the shape, it would be perfect. thats what i would like it to do, is snap to the shape. it has been working fine for weeks, and just now, i must have turned off some option, and it wont do it anymore? well, i'll keep on hunting. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preferences uncheck select object by path only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounded like that was going to be the answer.... almost... that did help, in that now I can select a shape by click anywhere on it, however the other half of my problem still remains. If any of you have worked in autocad, there is a feature called "smart tracking," where it would recognize end points and such within the document, and register snaps with those.there was a feature that was working in illustrator just like this...

ex. if i'm drawing a horizontal line right above another, and want its end point to stop at the same point as the one below, it would normally register with that and give you snaps or stopping points in space that would let you know where that point was at. sooooo... anyone know how i can get this back??? thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha, that was it. Smart guides!? I saw that, but thought it onky pertained to "guides" such as the kind you pull from rulers, so I didn't try it. Anyways, Jesseham, you are genius. and thanks to the others for helping out as well. Seriously, it takes only a moment for you to help another. You can check your good deed for the day off the list. lol. ok, i'm hyper now. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I been having this problem for last month or so and now I find this 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, i've been searching all day for this answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much.

I have been searching entire youtube for this also i called many designers but unfortunately they all just gave me answers to check snap to point or smart guides.

I tried what you told and it worked instantly.

God Bless you!!

Thanks once again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesseham, hello from the future.

"the default snapping behavior to require that you hold down a modifier"

This is gold. I never knew this. Thank you! I'll have a beer waiting for you in 9 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May God bless you and your family for this answer: 

Smart Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU HELP ME, THANKS MATE, A HUGE THANKS I CANT EVEN TURN OFF MY CAPSLOCK, THANKS !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this problem once and solved it this way (smart guides was checked off).

Today I again had this, came back here and found out the setting was still enabled.

Did more research.

Smart guides just not working.

$250/year.

Amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this seems to vary by the day. Oh Joy. I just want to move my object in tiny increments but object keeps jumping. I can't even place guidelines always where I want them. What is up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your snapping tolerance in the preferences > smart guides? Mine was on 0pt and didn't snap. Changed it to 4pt and immediately I started getting results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my case, which might help people in future: I accidentally turned the snap-to-objects option off by typing "Cmd U" ("Ctrl U" on PC I guess) because I was trying to undeline some text (on other applications, that would be the shortcut)!

It took me fully 15 minutes to figure it out, and I couldn't find any mention of the same mistake online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Smart Guides, which the current correct answer describes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldnt agree more.  I did the same exact thing by probably accidentally pressing Cmd U somehow and one of the most useful features was turned off.  Glad I found this thread and now it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this worked for me thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wish snapping work more like it did in InDesign. Don't understand why they're different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines