• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't use 'arrow keys' in custom keyboard shortcuts

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to change my keyboard shortcuts in illustrator to match another design tool.

Essentially using 'Cmd+Opt+Arrow Up' as a keyboard shortcut for 'Move Forward'.

When I try to do that, I get the error 'The key pressed cannot be used as a shortcut'.

I'm assuming this is the arrow keys? Is there a way to enable them? Just curious why they would be omitted from creating shortcuts?

cameronw61134182_0-1592834996508.png

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some keys are just not allowed.

You could try if you can use third party shortcut tool to implement it that way. But those might interfere in undesirable ways in other areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, it is kind of a bad tradition that many possible keyboard combinations are not allowed for some unknown reasons.

For example, I think it is still not possible to assign something like "Alt/Option + "another key" to a specific command. You are then forced to add the Cmd/Ctr key to get the shortcut.

In my eyes it is a weakness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Total weakness. Wish they would have a mushroom retreat with the InDesign team (which does allow arrow keys in shortcuts) and open their minds to helping their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @_aaron_,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this feature is important to you, and I apologize for its unavailability at this time. Would you mind creating a UserVoice for this feature request (https://adobe.ly/3uZdSTj) and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will be notified of any updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines