• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you explain simple steps to make this? I'm not getting my idea similar enough . . .

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i like how the text in the black/white/red graphic looks

however, when i use a thin font in illustrator, and add a thick outline, its not working. the outlines gets sharp points. #1 is what Im getting; #2 pic is what i want.

I think i need to use a thinner font, for sure.

THOUGHTS? i'd love your help in explaining how to get #2!

fafsa outline.pngfafsa good.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adjusting the mitre limit in your stroke settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way, instead of a stroke, is to add a fill with offset path effect behind the contents.

tromboniator_1-1618004244937.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel completely ridiculous. but i've spent an hour on trying to recreate your idea, Peter,  - and am doing something wrong.

i would be so thankful if you could write the steps how you did that from square one.  You don't know how thankful i'd be!  i'm confused with adding strokes, and outlining strokes and fills, and offsets - and how in your example there's no color for the fill.

I came up with this example - by using add a fill and ofset; but then i pasted on top of the blue the yellow letters. I'm thinking that's wrong and not the right way. any exact ways to do what you did would be amazing.

FAFSA EXAMPLE STILL NEEDS HELP.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delaney,

As Peter said, and as you can see in his screenshot, the new fill is to be behind (beneath) the actual Characters, just Drag it down below in the Appearance panel (and have only that selected when applying the offset effect).

I believe you may have it on top so it covers the original Type, so that in your latest screenshot there are two sets, the original beneath and the pasted copy above the new blue offset fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not as solution - but only as a sidenote:

The example shown by the OP is definitely "handmade"!

see:

aa10.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines