• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you lock a shape in position but still edit it?

New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making laser cutting files for my (youngish) students made up of an outer frame (locked in a separate layer) and a window inside that frame where they can draw in their designs and merge with that window. The idea that they can put rails, bars circles etc. like you might find in a decorative window frame and these will be laser cut.

The design is very precise so, if a student accidentally moved that inner window frame, it would mess up the design.  I know I can lock it but then they cant select it to merge with the design that they draw over it.

Is there a function that simply locks a shape in position but still allows you to select it to merge with other shapes using Pathfinder tools?

I realise I could just get them to unlock it as they need to edit but Im trying to make this as 'foolproof' as possible.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

The long answer is no.

Lock both the shapes.

Have them draw their shapes.

Then you do the finishing touches, such as applying pathfinder operations.

On the other hand: when they are able to apply pathfinders (which is slightly advanced), they should be able to not touch the other stuff when intensely instructed?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The long answer is no.

Lock both the shapes.

Have them draw their shapes.

Then you do the finishing touches, such as applying pathfinder operations.

On the other hand: when they are able to apply pathfinders (which is slightly advanced), they should be able to not touch the other stuff when intensely instructed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, you would think so but never underestimate how careless a 13 year old can be. Thanks for this solution. I will caution them accordingly 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is this pathfinder in Illustrator, can I show you what I'm talking about, I did this for many years but now I can't remember how I did it....where can I download a picture.

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Window->Pathfinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about having copy of the frame locked and hidden away? Have the students work with a copy of the frame then when they're done you just realign the whole thing to the locked copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think, how obedient may your pupils be if you were telling them to only use one specific selection tool that may at least make it a bit more difficult to inadvertently move things around?

Perhaps with a promise to pay for a round of chocolate bars from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines