Highlighted

Cannot edit anchor points Illustrator 2020

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once in a while (not all the time), after working for a while in an Illustrator file, it would not let me edit an anchor point. By edit I mean I cannot move the anchor point itself or change the curve with the anchor point handles. Sometimes it's just the figure I'm working in (no problem with other figures in the same file), others it's all the figures within the file and sometimes it's only certain anchor points within the same figure or curve while the others are editable (this happened just now editing a warp mesh).

Closing the file and opening it again solves the problem, but only temporarily because the problem sometimes comes back and other time not. Also, I can solve the problem (temporarily again) by just cutting the figure/element I'm working on and imediately pasting it back on the artboard.

It seems that this happens more often with complex drawings, but it has happened with simple ones also...even with anchor points in a mesh.

This problem was acknowledge by Adobe back with Illustrator 2019 and was resolved with an update, but now it's back in Illustrator 2020.

I have tried about any and everything I can think of; re-install Illustrator, restart computer (same account, different user account, safe boot, etc.), repair permissions, reset pram, trash preferences, etc.

Is there an update to fix this (again), or maybe a solution I might have missed?

Thanks in advance.

JC

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot edit anchor points Illustrator 2020

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once in a while (not all the time), after working for a while in an Illustrator file, it would not let me edit an anchor point. By edit I mean I cannot move the anchor point itself or change the curve with the anchor point handles. Sometimes it's just the figure I'm working in (no problem with other figures in the same file), others it's all the figures within the file and sometimes it's only certain anchor points within the same figure or curve while the others are editable (this happened just now editing a warp mesh).

Closing the file and opening it again solves the problem, but only temporarily because the problem sometimes comes back and other time not. Also, I can solve the problem (temporarily again) by just cutting the figure/element I'm working on and imediately pasting it back on the artboard.

It seems that this happens more often with complex drawings, but it has happened with simple ones also...even with anchor points in a mesh.

This problem was acknowledge by Adobe back with Illustrator 2019 and was resolved with an update, but now it's back in Illustrator 2020.

I have tried about any and everything I can think of; re-install Illustrator, restart computer (same account, different user account, safe boot, etc.), repair permissions, reset pram, trash preferences, etc.

Is there an update to fix this (again), or maybe a solution I might have missed?

Thanks in advance.

JC

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JC: Although of little or no help, I too am experiencing the same problem.
What is amazing is that Adobe hasn't addressed/corrected this issue long ago as it's a common problem which has been known about for some time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JC:
As I'm a complete neophyte to Adobe Illustrator, please take my suggestions as being only a "possible" solution. However, to move an anchor point, use the Anchor Point Tool PLUS the Shift key, while dragging the point. It's been working for me, at least so far.
FWIW,
Dale

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had the problem since updating to the latest version...and at the same time I uninstalled the HotDoors CadTools plugin that was ginving another sort of a problem (so I can't really tell with certainty which one soved the problem).

If it happens again I'll try your suggestion...but that would be a limiting one as pressing the shift key while dragging an anchor point will restrict moving it at the constraint angles...but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice.

JC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JC
Although the "jumps" may be a little more than desired, if the anchor point(s) gets too contrary, you can also use the keyboard arrow keys to nudge the selected anchor point vertically or horizontally. Hopefully Adobe has already solved the problem so that users won't have to rely on the "work-arounds".

Dale

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines