• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot enable Live Corners in Illustrator CC

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm excited to use the new Illustrator Live Corner Feature but for some reason using the Direct Select tool does not bring up the live corners on any shape I make. I am using Illustrator CC 64 bit on a PC runnign Windows 7. Am I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Hi Louise,

It looks you are not on 17.1.0 and hence you do not have this feature. Your View menu snapshot shows that very clearly. Please update your Ai to 17.1.0 and let us know if you are able to work with the feature.

Thanks,

Dhirendra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Ton - but, I think the Live Corners are supposed to be visible while we have any of the 1st 4 Live Shapes selected.  If we switch to the DST then we lose easy access to the Live Shape options via the Control Panel which is why I think this feature was designed to be used with the Shape Tool selected. 

I am not trying to be difficult here, I am just trying to figure out why the Live Corners are not functioning as designed in my version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use the Direct Selection Tool, I can still use the Live Shape options in the Transform panel and also the Corner options in the Control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the way the Live Corners were designed?  Do you have to have the DST and bounding box enabled to see Live Corners in Illustrator? Or, is this an anomaly?  If it is an anomaly, is there a way to fix it?control panel difference.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to have the bounding box enabled to see the corner widgets.

Just select the object (or a single corner anchor point) with the direct selection tool.

round corners.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, Ton - again... you should not need to have the DST selected to see the corner widgets.

We are not looking for a work-around.  The DST is helpful to diagnose the issue if the corner widgets are not appearing as they should be to ensure the shape widgets icon was not turned off.

But, ensuring that the shape widgets icon in the control panel is on, the corner widgets should be visible as soon as you draw the live shape - which is not happening. 

I am not looking for a workaround.  I am trying to find out what I am missing in order to make the corner widgets perform as designed.  For example, is there a setting in the preferences?  Is there some sort of GPU setting required?  Do I need to be using Windows 8?  Maybe in the latest update, they changed the behavior of the corner widgets?  What is the source of the actual issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louise, I am afraid that is how it's designed.

With Bounding box on; corner widgets.

With Bounding box off : corner widgets with the Direct Selection Tool, but even without the DST you can manipulate them in the Transform panel.

If you like to see a different behaviour, you can do a feature request.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think this needs to be a feature request as this is how it has worked. 

As mentioned above, there are numerous tutorial videos (please see screen capture above and attached here again) where the Bounding box is off; the shape has just been dropped into the Artboard with the Ellipse tool still selected (note: the DST has not been selected yet) and you can see the corner widgets visible around the ellipse.

Do you know when this behavior changed?

bounding box corner widgets.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I understand, we are talking about different things.

A corner widget is the thing you use to make round corners.

But the behaviour you are talking about has changed in the latest version.

So maybe it is time for a feature request.

Corners.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Illustrator CC 2015.3.0 on Windows, look at the Preferences setting for Selection & Anchor Display, "Hide Corner Widget for angles greater than:" and either uncheck the box or set a different value and you should see the corner widgets again, whether or not you are showing the bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This setting was causing the issue in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are showing edges (View -> Show Edges).  I had hid edges and couldn't find out why the corner widget wasn't showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was the actual FILE that was corrupted. I created a new file and copied all the content into the new document and then everything worked just fine. Before that I had all the problems in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Coloreel-team thank you so much! haha, I was trying all of the things in this thread and it was only until I found this comment that I was reminded that files can get corrupted too. That was EXACTLY my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

view -> smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Preferences/select and anchor display/ down near the bottom there is an option to " Hide Cornere Widget for angles greater thans ..." I bet thats your problem right there 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines