Highlighted

Cannot move selected objects in Illustrator

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CS5.5.

I cannot move anything I select. I try to drag it and it makes the "bump" noise. 

-I made sure that my preferences are not set to "object selection by path only".

-I've restarted my computer several times

-I tried to open a previous Illustrator file and I have the same problem

-I even uninstalled and reinstalled my entire Abode Suite beacuse I've been having several issues

I'm not sure if this is related but I also can't create a new document unless I use picas and CMYK coloring. It refuses to adjust to anything other than the default settings. Also, I can't increase the stroke of an object unless I type in the number, meaning I can't use the arrows for adjustment.

So basically I am having a ton of problems and even reinstalling the program didn't fix them.

Help please.

@ramis85927975 is correct the temporary fix is to hover with your cursor over the center of the object (blue tiny square) and then click drag. It's almost like the mouse doesn't pick up the pixels of the image.

I've also tried all the other suggestions and this is all that is working for now.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot move selected objects in Illustrator

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CS5.5.

I cannot move anything I select. I try to drag it and it makes the "bump" noise. 

-I made sure that my preferences are not set to "object selection by path only".

-I've restarted my computer several times

-I tried to open a previous Illustrator file and I have the same problem

-I even uninstalled and reinstalled my entire Abode Suite beacuse I've been having several issues

I'm not sure if this is related but I also can't create a new document unless I use picas and CMYK coloring. It refuses to adjust to anything other than the default settings. Also, I can't increase the stroke of an object unless I type in the number, meaning I can't use the arrows for adjustment.

So basically I am having a ton of problems and even reinstalling the program didn't fix them.

Help please.

@ramis85927975 is correct the temporary fix is to hover with your cursor over the center of the object (blue tiny square) and then click drag. It's almost like the mouse doesn't pick up the pixels of the image.

I've also tried all the other suggestions and this is all that is working for now.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 21, 2013 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Win? Please confirm that you are able to select items, if so try to delete and let us know what happens.

Run disk utility to fix permissisons, anythting need repair?

Reset your preferences by immediately after booting holding down these 3 keys:

Mac - Shift Option Command

WIn - Shift Alt Ctrl

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2013 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alice,

To get rid of strangenesses that may otherwise linger, always run the Cleaner Tool between uninstalling and reinstalling.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2013 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike: I am working on Windows and can selected the object.

I tried the shift alt ctrl but I don't think I did it at then correct time.

The curios thing is that after I restarted again last night it worked but

today it doesn't work again.

I will try running a cleaner between installations.

Re: Cannot move selected objects in Illustrator created by Jacob

Bugge<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge>in

Illustrator - View the full

discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5778525#5778525

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2013 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alice,

When there is a temporary cure in restarting Illy/the computer, it is hardly a matter of corrupted preferences.

You may look at Item 7) and possibly Item 15) in Other options (follow the link with that name).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem in Illustrator CC on Mac - resolved it by going to:

Preferences >> Selection & Anchor Display

Uncheck "Object Selection by Path Only"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2014 6
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was the reverse. I checked the box and it all seems to work now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2015 1
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Object Selected by Path Only" unchecked! That fixed it! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2017 1
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just SERIOUSLY SAVED MY DAY. This has been driving me insane. THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2019 1
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having same issue, so far none of those answers helped. what do i do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 0
Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing is to view the file in Outline mode (Cmd(Ctrl)-Y) and see if there are things other than the artboard shown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2014 1
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in Windows with Illustrator CC 2014.  Tried the Ctrl+Alt+Del and also made sure "Selection by Path Only" is unchecked...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2015 0
Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct key combination is Ctrl-Alt-Shift (not Del) when starting AI. If done right, you should get a dialog box asking if you want to replace the preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2015 1
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try this option

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0