Cannot open a certain .aic file in Illustrator

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had recently worked on (4 days ago) a specific file on Illustrator but have not touched since. It was before the new update and now when I go to open the file, either from the creative cloud or Illustrator itself, It doesn't respond. When it doesn't respond, the program doesn't freeze up, and I don't get a pop up message. The other thing is a project I had worked on about a month ago I can open, so it is only a problem with one specific file. I've looked through the fourm and seen similar porblems, but nothing exactly like mine. I should mention I am on Windows 10. If I can get any help on how I can open this file it would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Performance, Sync and storage

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021
This issue is fixed in AI 25.1 update available in Creative Cloud Desktop   Likes  

translate

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the .aic just a spelling mistake in your title or is the file actually an .aic file? Illustrator files should be .ai

Here are some ways to troubleshoot problematic Illustrator files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. a .aic is the file that is created when it's saved to the cloud. Adobe Illustrator Cloud 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's good to know. I have not worked with cloud documents yet, so I have not seen that new file extension. Thanks.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That file has been saved to your Creative Cloud account?

Have you tried logging out and then logging in again?

Do you see the file in your Creative Cloud account on the web?

Can you make a copy and go back a few versions of the file and then try if that opens?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you click on the timeline icon on the CC assets website and select a previous version of your cloud document?

AIC timeline.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to view the file on the website and look through the timeline, and was able to revert to an older version, but after a while, it did the same thing and I had to revert to an older version once again. I was saving files to the cloud so I could work on them at school and home, but now that I'm all online there is no reason to save the files to the cloud. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloudfiles are a recent addition and a new file format.

Saving your Illustrator files in the CC files folder on your harddisk just saves normal Illustrator files locally, but they get synched to the cloud.

You can access them from other computers when logged in and they also save versions.

Looks like a safer option at the moment.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to fix this? I'm having the same problem! 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same problem were one particular file will not open and it is .aic file saved to the cloud. i have tried reverting to old version doesnt fix it, i have tried making a copy and it does not fix it, is there any way to fix this problem please can't access my work that i had been working on for weeks. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. Can't open an Illustrator window with the .aic file, and if I try to open it within an Illustrator window, it gives me the message: Error opening""

- Reverted it from version 25 to version 25.0.1

Made a coy of the file on the cloud.

Getting an error trying to download the file from the Cloud as well.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is fixed in AI 25.1 update available in Creative Cloud Desktop

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines