• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open EMF file in illustrator "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error"

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Can someone help me understand why I am having this error? Is there a way to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

If it's not good quality when exporting to vector, then it might not be reproducable as a vector file. And then Illustrator might not be able to import that EMF.

Also: the EMF might be just as bad.

If you can upload that EMF, I might try and open it in CorelDRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any idea about where the file came from, i.e. which program generated it and what it contains this is impossible. Just like native AI files or PDFs EMF is just a broad container format that can contain anything from vector data to embedded fonts to pixel images or even custom parametric entities from the origtijnal creation program. The usual "the devil's in the details" applies. A lot more specific info is required.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. The file was created in powerpoint. It is a fairly complex figure that has been grouped several times. I am wondering if the grouping is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the complexity is the issue.

Can't you export a PDF from PowerPoint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this suggestion. I have tried it and the image quality is poor when I export to PDF. That's why I saved the file as an EMF. The publishers to whom I will submit the figure work with Adobe Illustrator. I will just send it as a powerpoint file and hope that it makes the cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it's not good quality when exporting to vector, then it might not be reproducable as a vector file. And then Illustrator might not be able to import that EMF.

Also: the EMF might be just as bad.

If you can upload that EMF, I might try and open it in CorelDRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines