Highlighted

Cannot step and repeat in Illustrator CC

Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Since downloading the last two updates to Illustrator CC I have been unable to use 'command D' to step and repeat for multiple objects.

I can copy and paste using shortcuts and also use 'Object>Transform' but whenever I use 'command D' it just doesn't step and repeat, the duplicated shape doesn't move.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Is Object > Transform > Transform Again indeed set to the shortcut Command-D?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot step and repeat in Illustrator CC

Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Since downloading the last two updates to Illustrator CC I have been unable to use 'command D' to step and repeat for multiple objects.

I can copy and paste using shortcuts and also use 'Object>Transform' but whenever I use 'command D' it just doesn't step and repeat, the duplicated shape doesn't move.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mentor ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah. It was deselected! As were a couple of other shortcuts I need to switch back on. Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the Menu>Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform? This allows you to step out art as an effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You. it helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is not - How do I change it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Select 'Menu Commands' from the drop-down tab.

Reset the desired commands from the list.

Here's a screen-grab of my list.

Hope that helps? Apologies for the naming of my custom set - all my Adobe products have similar descriptions

grab.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I found it while searching - is there really no proper step and repeat in Illustrator?

Sorry if this is easy, it's always bugged me.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to use the Transform Effect, Menu>Effect>Distort and Transform>Transform.  In the Transform Dialog you can set the distance of the step and the number of copies. This way you can take one object and repeat horizontally apply the effect, then apply the effect again for vertical repeat using the copy field to enter the amount of repeats you want. The program will ask if you want to apply the second effect, just say yes. Use the Preview check box to see your step before it is applied. Even after it is applied to the object you can still change the Effect by going to the Appearance Panel and double clicking on the Transform Effect you wish to modify.

Hope this helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have the step you want you can also Expand Appearance Menu>Object>Expand Appearance, to make all repeats individually editable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as "Proper" step and repeat, I'm not sure what you would be calling Proper. If you simply select an object and hit the return key you get the Move Dialog and can enter in the Hor. or Ver. movement. Once you move an object with this Move Dialog you can hit Command "D" which will duplicate this last move. This might be closer to what you are referring to as a Proper Step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By proper I mean:

- Select an object to be repeated

- Set  transformation by the numbers (no clicking, dragging, rulers etc)

- Set the amount of duplications

- Hit enter

Sounds like this is the best option: Menu>Effect>Distort and Transform>Transform

After all these years, I  don't understand why Illustrator is so backwards, it's like Adobe wears it as badge of honour or think we actually like it that way.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmscss  schrieb

Sounds like this is the best option: Menu>Effect>Distort and Transform>Transform

This is actually really not backwards at all, because it is editable. You can make up your mind 3 years later and then change it without a hassle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having it be non-destructable/editable is an awesome feature. But call it 'Step and repeat' and put it next to Duplicate (or similar) under the edit menu. The underlying concept is not new (even if it is non-destructable) so why not make it logical and easy to find?

This is a classic example of Illustrator's logic that yes, I feel is backwards. Powerful features can also be logical and simple, that's the recipe for awesome, and why not make Illustrator awesome?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thanks. Always annoyed me that there is not simply a 'step-and-repeat' command like InDesign (since this is supposed to be a creative suite). Never realised it was right there in a separate command.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, i was beating my head to it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines