Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant modify an imported PDF vector file

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

I grabbed this program a day or two ago and its mostly very user friendly and great.  Understandably i won't get everything perfect and i am having a struggle trying to modify an imported PDF vector file.  I originally created a 3D file in Fusion then created a DWG file from that in Fusion, but the DWG wouldn't upload into Illustrator.  So i then created a PDF in Fusion and imported it into Illustrator, and then created other stuff in Illustrator.  I find i am able to scale the entire PDF component, but not use 'Fill' or move elements within the drawing relative to each other.  I am creating a logo so i don't want to rasterise it, and when i tried 'Image Trace' the quality wasn't quite good enough. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Your imported PDF is in Clipping mask (this happens often when you import non-native vectors in AI). So, you can release it (Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Opt+7, repeate until all the objects will have their own edges highlighted), ungroup (Ctrl/Cmd + Shift+G) and delete all unnecessary objects.

But there is a sad news for you: each segment of each your object is a separate line, so you need to join them.

join.jpg

there are 2 ways to continue.

1 — connect all segments point by point (I'm not sure thai it's a good way fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a whole mess of infinitely nested groups, separate path segements and compound paths. that happens a lot when exporting CAD data. Dig into the layers palette, dissolve the groups and so on, then re-group sensibly in the AI sense. For filling it may be simpler to convert the group to a Live Paint group and fill the areas instead of trying to mend and join the paths the hard way by hand...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your imported PDF is in Clipping mask (this happens often when you import non-native vectors in AI). So, you can release it (Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Opt+7, repeate until all the objects will have their own edges highlighted), ungroup (Ctrl/Cmd + Shift+G) and delete all unnecessary objects.

But there is a sad news for you: each segment of each your object is a separate line, so you need to join them.

join.jpg

there are 2 ways to continue.

1 — connect all segments point by point (I'm not sure thai it's a good way for this case but it might be useful in some further projects):

1. Using Direct Selection Tool (White Arrow) select 2 endpoints from different segments

2. Click Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Opt+J > Both to place the points at the same place

3. Click Ctrl/Cmd+J to join the segments.

Repeat it for all points. 

This way is long and boring but safe and well-controllable.

2 — follow Mylenium's advice and create a Live Paint Group:

1. Select all the elements of your logo and go to Object > Live Paint > Make

join2.jpg

2. Using Live Paint Bucket fill the objects like you wish. Change the Stroke settings if needed.

join3.jpgjoin4.jpg

3. Finally Expand the Live Painting group to get separate editable objects for further work.

join5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much.  I will work on this and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Can you please give me a bit more instruction on how to release it from clipping mask?

I tried highlighting the box the artwork is in within the illustrator file, and pressed Ctrl + Alt, but nothing happenned.  I also went to the layers dropbox and selected the artwork and pressed Ctrl + Alt, but again nothing happenned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+Alt+7, or Object > Clipping Mask > Release, and repeat until you can see the all objects' edges highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be giving me the option.

Screenshot (179).pngScreenshot (178).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Key point: you may get great results, I hope so, but Illustrator is not made or sold as a general PDF editor. Your mileage may vary wildly. It does a perfect job of editing only the PDFs that Illustrator made itself, and which were saved with "preserve editing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you open the PDF or place it?
If place, open Links panel, select the PDF and in panel menu choose Embed command. This will make the PDF editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the PDF.  I can't find the "Embed" command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please, show the screenshot of your original PDF file when it's just opened and with all the content selected.

Yes, when you open PDF, you can't see the "Embed" command, its for placed content only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines