• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

***Cant Scroll through fonts using arrow keys

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when trying to preview different fonts in AI i am unable to scroll through them using the arrow keys, it just doesnt move... can anyone tell me whats wrong? im sure its pretty simple but i have no idea how to fix it...if it can be fixed... oh im using cs3 and a mac on os x leopard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. This is a feature that works on the Windows versions, but does not work on the Mac Versions.

And no, it hasn't changed in CS4 either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "And no, it hasn't changed in CS4 either."

And that's just bloody ridiculous.

:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add a post script.... it hasn't been changed in the late beta version of CS4 I've seen. I can't speak directly for the shipping version. But I agree, it should have been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never thought it was a problem. Click on the Font Menu arrow in the character palette. You get a font list that extends from top to bottom of your screen. There are little arrows at the top and bottom of the list. Mouseover these arrows and the list scrolls. Move the mouse over the list and it stops scrolling so that you can select the font you want. At least that's the way it works on CS2. Suits me fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a font in your list is highlighted first, Then you can toggle using the arrow keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Steve. That was a brain dead response to your question. I was mixing up my forums and thinking of photoshop not illustrator. Sorry can't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can use the arrow keys in the font menu if you've got a font selected. It's just that mouseover scrolling is quicker if you've got a long way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive tried to highlight the font and scroll through with the arrows but it wont work im not talking about the acutal menu list arrows thingys! haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly what you're referring to, Christopher. Unfortunately it just doesn't work in the Macintosh version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott. Am I missing something? The arrows work just fine for me (on a Mac)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing something, Arthur.

Try this in Photoshop.....

Set a string of text. Highlight the text. Place your cursor in the Font field of the Character Panel. Now use the up/down arrows. See how the font changes in the document to display the selected font?

Now try the same thing in Illustrator on a Mac. Doesn't work. It does work on a PC though.

Christopher was asking about the live update in the document when arrow keys are used in the Font field. While it's true arrow keys will let you select a font in Illustrator, they do not update the document or the highlighted text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting or highlighting the text isn't even necessary.

One need only target the text layer in the Layers Panellette while the Type Tool is active. Highlight the font name, and the arrow keys will step through the font list, interactively updating the appearance of the text in the document.

And AI Mac can't do this?

Again: Bloody ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BS,

Does not work on all systems and versions.

Mine neither.

Waiting on the next $300 upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. That IS nice. Too bad AI doesn't have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grrrhhh !!!

Why Photoshop and not Illustrator ... Why on PC and not on MAC ?

That's shitty ...

With Up and Down arrows you can visualize immediately the render of your selected font.

Maybe in CS 15

++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you cant scroll through fonts in photoshop too. the scrolling stops on an item of the list (maybe photoshop has problem with it), and 1. in photoshop, you can't jump over it, you have to manually place the selection on the item after the one that blocked the scrolling, 2. illustrator will jump backward and you will keep scrolling about max 5-6 fonts over and over.

the font groups divided with lines are meaningless. it doesn't have any relation with regional keysets or any good reason.
a lot of unusable font f....d into the middle of the page.
i have to scroll over a dozens of unusable system fonts, what I cannot uninstall from Windows.

no font management at all.

and yes waiting for another 300$ upgrade too.

(plus another upgrade for a flash, because flash drawing tools didn't see upgrades in their whole lifetimes.
these tools are covered with bugs from top to toe. because nobody takes care of them. 300$ / 1bug.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer!

on windows it's Down arrow.

on mac it's SHIFT+down arrow.

problem solved.

(tried on mac illustrator CS6 + osx 10.8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BorisMell wrote:

(tried on mac illustrator CS6 + osx 10.8)

I don't have a mac but I know that Adobe introduced this feature on a mac with CS6  so, it is not something that has been there all the time that you just discovered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me. I have CS5 + Yosemite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisas71249198 schrieb:

Didn't work for me. I have CS5 + Yosemite

This is an old thread about version CS3. You might want to elaborate what exactly does not work for you.

You might also consider creating your own thread. Would simplify things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisas71249198, I figured it out!! This was driving me nuts until I started poking around in the preferences.

Go to  Illustrator>Preferences>Type... and uncheck "Enable Missing Glyph Protection"
This will allow Illustrator to scroll through all the fonts, and not get hung up on the ones with missing glyphs.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, pickdr, but it didn't work for me. Thanks for trying, but glad something worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! it's exactly what had been bugging me for years now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a bloody CHAMPION!! Thanks so much, I never would have found that setting and it has been driving me crazy too (for way too long). Cheers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines