Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas color stuck as white

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

Ok, so my canvas colour is stuck as white.

I already know you an change it via user interface, even when I mess with that and have it checked to match user interface (or whatever), its just stuck as white. When I open a new doccument, its the normal dark grey I enjoy, but for some reason in one file its just stuck as white. Anyone know whats going on?

jdam.jpg

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Tried all three things you guys suggested and in fact I tried the overprint thing prior to asking this question, nothing. Also sorry, when I did "print screen" i just had my artboard zoomed WAYYY out. the white rectangle is the wierdness that wont turn back to the normal background colour. This is really bizarre. When I click on the white space (i understand what you were thinking) and switch it to none, nothing happens. Unlocked all layers just to make sure. Overprint is not on. I am genuinely

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Just found this!

The shortcut is: SHIFT + COMMAND + H 

or< "view" > "hide artboards" / "view artboards" 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

What worked for me: 

1. changed my "Preferences" > "User Interface" >  and chose the "Match User Interface Brightness" option under "Canvas Color:" 
  2. In "Document Setup" check the box next to "Simulate Colored Paper" -- then ensure the color on the top is white (see image)
    guide.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Got to View and choose "View Artboards"  or press Shift + CMD + H.

Hope that helped 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your artboard?

What happens when you go to View>Fit Artboard to window?

Sorry almost looks like your artboard is big and your artwork is just small in the middle..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you solved you problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAR,

What happens if you click somewhere in the whiteness (with Fill in front of Stroke in the Toolbox, and then click the None button?

In other words: are you sure we are not talking about a large white rectangle or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! its not letting me tag you in my thanks so Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, RAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is overprint preview on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all three things you guys suggested and in fact I tried the overprint thing prior to asking this question, nothing. Also sorry, when I did "print screen" i just had my artboard zoomed WAYYY out. the white rectangle is the wierdness that wont turn back to the normal background colour. This is really bizarre. When I click on the white space (i understand what you were thinking) and switch it to none, nothing happens. Unlocked all layers just to make sure. Overprint is not on. I am genuinely stumped at what mystery hotkey I hit to make this happen.

EDIT: OH MY GOSH THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Thank you! Your suggestions made me just start checking stuff on and off. "Show artboards" was turned off. I wonder why it had the effect of making the BG white though? Either way THANK YOU GUYS! dougofakkad REALLY APPRECIATE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what did you do?  I'm having the same problem I think.  (Artboards are white, but so is the background canvas/drawing area) and it's driving me insane.  I hit a hotkey by mistake and have no idea which key I've pressed.  I've tried messing with document setup and turned overprint preview on and off a million times.  I've tried turning the fill or stroke off and no change.  I've messed with the "Transparency and Overprint Options" in the Document Setup but nothing helps.  I am getting so frustrated.  Please Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out immediately after typing this.  For future people with issues, first I selected all my artboards and made sure their background was white, and not clear. Then, I had to then changed my "Preferences" > "User Interface" >  and chose the "Match User Interface Brightness" option under "Canvas Color:"  Then my canvas was medium dark like my interface and my artboards were white.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANKS ALOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this!

The shortcut is: SHIFT + COMMAND + H 

or< "view" > "hide artboards" / "view artboards" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BLESS YOU FOR THAT SHORTCUT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Just like Gunnaro, I pressed a hot key and then this happened. Thank you for posting the hotkey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much 
was scratching my head from 5 hours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me: 

1. changed my "Preferences" > "User Interface" >  and chose the "Match User Interface Brightness" option under "Canvas Color:" 
  2. In "Document Setup" check the box next to "Simulate Colored Paper" -- then ensure the color on the top is white (see image)
    guide.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked like magic @gunnaro57712534  — thank you, ma dude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but can't find a "show artboards" only "show artboard names." Where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had this problem - I hit some keyboard shortcut and my canvas color changed to white.

SOLUTION:

Simply right click anywhere on the canvas and a menu will appear letting you select the canvas color!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a solution for Photoshop

In Illustrator you change the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this it fixed my problem

Ctrl-Shift+H.

View>Show/Hide Artboards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JUST PRESS ctrl + shift + h

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I had the same problem and you solved. But, please, what does ctrl + shift + h mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ulysseso28052165  schrieb

Thank you. I had the same problem and you solved. But, please, what does ctrl + shift + h mean?

Just see answer #15

It's the shortcut for hide artboards/show artboards

Mac users press Cmd instead of Ctrl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines