• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Center point missing from shapes in outline mode

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have lost the center line cross hairs in Illustrator CS6.

I draw some shapes, then go to outline mode and the center lines are now missing. They used to work. Still have them in CS5.

Here are a couple of images that show what I mean.

Here in 5 you can see the center points in each shape

outline mode CS5.jpg

Here is a similar picture from 6 with the center points missing.

The center points do show up if I put my cursor over the shape.

Outline mode CS6.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Hi there. I was having the same problem until I stumbled across a (new?) option in the Attributes palette.

There are two little boxes, one with a dot in the middle. Select that one, and all your problems will be solved. Hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your atributes show center point weas off for every object that would happen.

Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 4.37.39 PM.png

I doubt that is what happened as that would go away with a new document, and you mentioned the mouseover revels centerpoint. I only have CS5 here at work but hopefully my post helps you out.

Try resetting your .ai preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaks for the reply, but I tried that and it wasn't the problem, and just tried again to make sure. 

The new image below is in outline mode, no center points.

I have checked all preferences, and they are set up identical in both 5 and 6, and 5 is fine.

Untitled2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to turn that on for each individual object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have the center point if I scroll over them, and the attribute button is on for all of them.  Problem is, in outline mode ALL the center points should show, they do not.

As I said, it works ok in CS5, just doesn't seem to be working anymore in CS6. And as I recall, they did work originally when I installed the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select an object and then check the attribute panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is on, on all of them. Here is an image I just made, the button is on on all the shapes.  It is also in "Outline Mode" not Preview mode.

I have the rectangle selected and you can see the centerpoint anchor is a square.

With that square still selected, I just hovered over the round circles path and it highlighted and the center point shows.  BUT,,,,,  none of the other center points are showing.

Untitled4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly what you mean as  I toohave the same problem.

I have the show centerpoint button selected on my Attribute panel, but none of my shapes show the centerpoint in outline mode, unless they are selected.

This is really frustrating as I'm trying align  some text with the centrepoint, but as soon as I select the text the centrepoint on the rectangle (I want to align with) disappears.

I'm surethey showed up when I first installed Illustrator CS6.

I looked through all the view menu and preferences but can't see an option.

Any help would be most welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Preferences.

The center point shows with no issue here. MacOS 10.7.5/AI16.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 7 AI 16.2.0 (64 bit) updated through Creative Cloud. 

Like Mutan04, it was there before, now missing.   I guess one of the Creative Cloud updates took it away.  Sure wish I could undo the updates and find out which one it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I did reset them as specified in your link, and yes they all did reset to default including my key stroke changes.

Sorry, but no, it did not cure the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also reset my preferences, but still no joy.  Its a real head scratcher.

I'm using Windows 7

AI 16.0.3 (64bit)  as part of the CS6  design and web premium.

I wonder if a re-install will help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Also, the point/line-thing on text objects is missing. This is really weird and very annoying.

I'd like a solution to this pronto. Adobe? Helloooo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donsind, Mutant, Henrik,

You may try the following (you have been through 1) - 3) already) and see whether it helps:

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (irreversible);

4) Move the folder with Illy closed (reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool , and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem. Fortunately, I only had to close AI and restart and the centerpoints were finally visible. I am using Win 7 Pro, 8GB, 1900 X 1080 using AI creative Cloud version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem on both CC and CS 6 using windows 7. It does not happen on CC on the mac version.

Attributes show center point selected. It is kind of annoying not having this work. Any other work arounds?? Tried the reset through holding cntrl-shift-alt on CS 6.. not fixed.

I don't think it ever worked for these two versions on Windows for me. I noticed this problem before but kind of ignored it until I saw it working on mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So I ran the CC cleaner, I uninstalled and reinstalled, etc ... this problem is still happening on my windows 7 computer. It does not have this issue on the MAC or on my laptop with windows 8 installed.

Adobe Illustrator CC and CS 6 both. Surely someone has a fix? This is a very annoying issue that may seem little to some but I do rely on it a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a Smartguides issue? Have you tried making those visible? They normally show the centerpoint relation to other elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack,

No. Smart guides on or off does not change the behavior. I've also been on the phone twice with Adobe technical support and they cannot figure it out either. I think its a bug for some windows computers perhaps. Waiting for them to hopefully forward this on to their programmers to take a closer look.

I had to actually have them connect to my Mac to even see that what it is that my windows computer is missing!! Guess not everyoone asks about this issue! Just want it fixed for all those who are having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the exact same problem here and the only way I could fix it was to uninstall illustrator CS6 version 16.2.0. I uninstalled illustraor and re-installed it. The problem arises when you update to the new version 16.2.0. Their are no problems with the center point not visible in the previous version before update. Unfortunately I am going to have to uninstall illustrator again becuase I just accidentally told the creativ cloud to update all programs. Now my Illustrator version 16.2.0 has no visible center point. grrrrrrr Adobe please fix this bug in your latest CS6 update and also on illustrator CC because it has the same problem. I too am on a windows 7 64 bit windows machine.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put in a ticket with adobe and after much explaining and a few phone calls they have put it in a big report to the programmers so hopefully it will get fixed. Not sure about cs 6 though. Probably just the fix will be for cc but who knows!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CC. v 17.0.0

Still the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Windows 7, Service Pack 1, AI 17.0.0 CC. Recently switched from Mac to Windows under pressure from IT, and at first I thought it was fine, but I keep running into annoying issues like this which evidently Adobe is very slow to address. How hard could it possibly be to fix something like this? And it IS a HUGE annoyance not being able to find centers on anything unless they're selected. C'mon Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines