Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change a square picture into a circle

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have illustrator CS3 - I am making badges and want to change a picture I already have from a square into a circle. I am taking the notebook with me on site and I am not sure if anything but illustrator can run on it. i.e I know I can do it in photoshop but am worried about the poor little bugger screaming blue murder!

So is this possible in Illustrator? I am open to suggestions for other apps that arent so memory hungry like word; gimp maybe?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Glad you hear that you solved your issue!

For future questions regarding Illustrator, pleas post in the general Illustrator forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator

For those working in Photoshop, here is a step-by-step guide on using clipping masks to create a circular image out of a square image.

Open up your image in Photoshop. Using the Eliptical Marquee Tool (see below), drag a circle around the area of your image that you want to keep. (Hold down Shift on your keyboard as you dra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol figuerd it out clipping mask! heres how its done for anyone in the future:

1) File place and open the picture u want

2) Put an elipse over the picture - the part you want to keep

3) choose select all from menu (important!) make sure no other pics are open on the page (miske I made)

4)Object; Cliping mask, make or ctr 7 and voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is finally the answer I 've been looking for! Exactly right, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you hear that you solved your issue!

For future questions regarding Illustrator, pleas post in the general Illustrator forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator

For those working in Photoshop, here is a step-by-step guide on using clipping masks to create a circular image out of a square image.

Open up your image in Photoshop. Using the Eliptical Marquee Tool (see below), drag a circle around the area of your image that you want to keep. (Hold down Shift on your keyboard as you drag to create a perfect circle)

Clip1.jpg

In your layers panel, click on the Add Mask icon, shown below.

Clip2.jpg

You now have a clipped image!

Clip3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. This forum is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Illustrator forum for specialized attention to your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zatanna,

If you want to learn a little more about clipping masks or opacity masks, we have a few videos that may interest you.

This first video explains the process you landed on plus how to edit your mask path:

The next video deals with opacity masks, which are kind of like a clipping mask's cooler, smarter older brother. Try them out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines