• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change artboard order/numbers

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working on a project which involves over 16 artboards in the same document, though when i want to change the order of the artboards [for saving as a PDF] i have to move all my artboards content to new artboard, etc.etc.

This is really annoying, especially when i want to insert a new artboard between some excisting ones.

So is it possible to somehow change the order of the artboards, or they numbers [basically the same]?

Please let me know ASAP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Yes you can create or modify security settings in Acrobat. it's really an Acrobat thing, anyway. Illustrator can do it from the save as PDF dialogue, but it's really calling on Acrobat's features to do that.

If you open the pdf in Acrobat and right click anywhere on the page you can access document properties. One of the tabs of this pop up menu is for security. it should look familiar and be manageable.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where would you put this script? Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- copy the script from here

- open the ESTK, it should be in the same folder where the other CS apps live

- ESTK should open with a blank document

- paste the script there

- save it, and place it in your default illustrator scripts folder

- restart Illustrator

to run the script

- go to File->Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your generosity with your time & reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a fabulous 3 minute video that shows how to set up the artboards in CS5 - columns etc - and move them around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH3FQjnsiQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question! These new artboards in CS5 are pretty terrific with so much added funtionality! But how would you set up that classic structure you'd use in InDesign: two side-by-side 8.5 x 11 pages, with bleed on all sides EXCEPT the gutter? So far all I can find is the ability to assign bleed separately to the four sides - which is great - but NOT the ability to assign a different bleed to the gutter - which would be different / opposite sides depending on whether it was a left or right page. BTW/FYI: I set the docment up as 8.5 x 11 and 2 columns. Many thanks for the wonderful help here in this forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karenf1 wrote:

One more question! ...

you should start a new thread with your question, you'll get helped better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karenf1 wrote:

Here is a link to a fabulous 3 minute video that shows how to set up the artboards in CS5 - columns etc - and move them around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH3FQjnsiQ

of course, if you have CS5, there's no need for the script, it was made specifically for CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carlos - when I asked you the question about the script - I wasn't aware that my husband had CS5 on his mac. I found that out this morning- so I got to see the CS5 changes to the artboard. But thank you so much I did try your method out. It was just a bit over my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, this issue is EXACTLY what is wrong with Adobe! Of course, I have to use their products, but it seems like they have nothing over there but engineers.... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NEVER CONSIDER THE POSSIBILITY THAT PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE THE PRINT ORDER OF THEIR ARTBOARDS!

I was not looking forward to joining the "Upgrade of the Week Club", yet you guys seem to hold back fixes like this until the next version is out so we all have to pay for what should have been there in the first place!

Freehand is years old and I STILL prefer its drawing paradign to the clunky, multi-tool,modal approach you have foisted upon all us designers.

I almost messed up a print job because of this studip idiosyncrasy in your software!

Booo! And shame on you guys! Get some practicing designers in some focus groups, or discussions, or SOMETHING! What is most efficient for coding and development is NOT most efficient for the users!

This makes me so mad, I want to spill Jolt Cola all over every one of the keyboards in the application design department! (Which of course, I would never do, but it is sure fun to think about!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, of course, realize that you are just yelling at other users and not any from the company, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so in agreement with you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let know everyone here that CS6 has this new page administrator which does exactly that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the artboards panel, drag the artboards in the order you want them to be. They will keep the same artboard # but will export in the order you place them and won't move or rearrange the artboards in your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! This is how I did it in CS6.

1. Menu>Window>Artboards
  2. Select Artboard
  3. Click UP or DOWN arrow

I hope this works in all the previouse versions of Illustrator!

Blessings,

Cosmosion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will work as far as CS5, the CS4 version does not have this feature, and  CS3 and older do not have artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also click and drag them, in addition to double-clicking the Artboard name to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled "how to renumber artboards in Illustrator", I guess everyone knows how to do that now, because I could only find questions from 2015 back. Your answer was EXACTLY what I needed, wish I had scrolled down this thread when I first glanced at it 45 minutes ago lol.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I can't rearrange my artboards in illustrator? I can't believe it. How horrible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to using the Artboard Panel.

artboards.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Artboard Tool selected, go to the top where you'll see an icon of a gray circle on the top right of a white square with arrows around it called "Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard" turn that off and you'll be able to rearrange your artboards without moving your artwork.rearrange-artboards.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your answer but you're a bit late to the party, the question was asked 10 years ago. At that time there was no artboard panel, re-arranging artboards was possible but it was a royal pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using Illustrator 2021 and i always had this issue that made my work life so hard as I had to create artboards after I already had 10 of them and needed to add some in between. But I JUST found out the solution.

If you want to add artboards and have them placed between some existed artboards here's what I found out works:

Open artboard panel and rearrange your artboard so that you know exactly in what order they will be exported.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.27.12.png

The number you see at the start of the layer names are the order number (right now I have 1,2,3...12)

Now I want to add an artboard after my no1 and to be exported as no2. Therefore, if I click my first artboard layer and click on the + icon (to add the layer after my first one in order) it will add the new artboard as my second one.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.30.03.png

Now you will see on y artboard layers that the artboard that has been created (Artboard 19) is placed at the end of my artboards on the screen but it is nubered as second in order. To confirm that we have our artboard in the order we want it, we can click REARRANGE again and see:

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.31.50.png

It's placed second in order, as I wanted it to be.

I hope this helps

[ locked by moderator ]

This thread is more than 10 years old. You are a bit to late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines