• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change between Direct and Indirect selection when on the pen tool?

Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to do this. Select pen tool, and use Command or Control Tab to bounce between the two and then release and go back to using the pen tool.

Then Windows and Apple and hijacked the Command & Control Tab short cuts for window jumping.

Now I'm pretty sure I could still do this somehow, but i've lost the shortcut or Windows has changed something so now I'm back to jumping windows.

I've set up a short cut using Keyboard Shortcuts>Menu Commands>Other Select but this only works when the Direct or Indirect selection arrows are selected from inside the toolbox, it doesn't work when you use Control when using the pen tool. What I want is to use Control when using the pen tool to get the selection arrow and then hit another shortcut/modifier key to change from indirect> direct and vice versa.

V & A wont work because i've got control key depressed so that's paste and select all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dprog,

You still can select the Pen tool and then press and hold "Ctrl" (Win) / "Cmd" (Mac) to temporarily use selection tool in between. Once you release the Ctrl key, you will still have the Pen tool selected.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ohmnath,

Thanks for that. I know I can hold control down to use the selection tool when using the pen.

What I want to do is while i'm holding the control down to get the selection tool is swap between direct and indirect and back again. In the old days we used to be able to do this by hitting tab with control/cmd depressed, and it would jump between indirect and direct. Now I cannot see to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dprog,

Thanks for the details. I got it now. I can understand your situation, however this is how it is assigned now. May be you can fill in a feature request here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form 

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 2017 they changed the keys some Default keyboard shortcuts for Illustrator

Shortcuts

Windows

macOS

Switch to last-used selection tool (Selection tool, Direct Selection tool, or Group Selection tool)

Ctrl + `

Command + `

Switch between Direct Selection tool and Group Selection tool

Alt

Option

Add to a selection with Selection tool, Direct Selection tool, Group Selection tool, Live Paint Selection tool, or Magic Wand tool

Shift-click

Shift-click

Subtract a selection with Selection tool, Direct Selection tool, Group Selection tool, or LIve Paint Selection tool

Shift-click

Shift-click

Closest you can get is use "V" & "A" to tool switch, and then P to go back to pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Switch to last-used selection tool (Selection tool, Direct Selection tool, or Group Selection tool) doesn't work with the pen tool. Works with the Rectangle tool... you can hit Ctrl and then use ` to bounce between direct and indirect... but not the pen tool. Don't understand the logic in that.

Alt works about as best as I can see. It doesn't allow you to jump between Direct and indirect, but group appears to have similar functionality.

Thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello. Does anyone know why cmd ` doesn't switch to the last used selection tool (as it should according to Adobe's list of shortcuts)? When I use that keyboard shortcut it instead cycles through open document tabs in Illustrator.

Also, when I hold the option key with the group selection tool active it duplicates the object when click dragging rather than switching between the direct selection tool and the group selection tool (as it should according to Adobe's list of shortcuts). Not having these shortcuts costs quite a bit of extra time having to resort to manual switching of tools. 

Is there a setting in my preferences that is effecting these behaviors? I've experienced numerous bugs with Illustrator that tech support were unable to provide an answr to, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is another odity. I'm using the most recent installation of CC on a 2018 MacBook Pro, no installed plugins, preferences reset and Illustrator restarted. Any feedback is appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines