Highlighted

Changing opacity messes up compound paths

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have run into this vexing issue several times, and though it seems to have solved itself before, I'm never sure how. 

Basically, I'm using illustrator to trace over a raster image previously created (image is meant to be a map). This means lots of compound paths and combining or subtracting shapes to create more detailed shapes. Of course, since I'm tracing over something, it makes sense to have the vector layer less than 100% transparent. However, as soon as I put the opacity below 100%, creating a compound path just makes the bottom object disappear. If I do everything as before with 100% opacity, there is no problem. I thought it might have to do with objects being of different opacities, but the same thing happens if I change the new object to the same opacity before applying the compound path.

As I said, I've managed to stumble my way into solving this problem before, but I'm never sure how. Is there a logical explanation for this and how to get around it? Apologies as I'm fairly new to illustrator, and still trying to transfer my raster experience over to vectors.

The base objects at 80% percent opacityThe base objects at 80% percent opacityNew object, which for some reason is at 100% opacityNew object, which for some reason is at 100% opacityCreating a compound path (command + 8 ) just makes the base layer disappear...Creating a compound path (command + 8 ) just makes the base layer disappear...Doing the same thing at 100% opacity works perfectly wellDoing the same thing at 100% opacity works perfectly wellA normal compound path!A normal compound path!With all at 100% I can use the pathfinder tool to subtract the object intersections as intendedWith all at 100% I can use the pathfinder tool to subtract the object intersections as intended

Just an update that selecting "Clear Appearance" in the Appearance box then reapplying the opacity change to the whole layer seemed to fix things (after a great deal of trial and error). Still unsure what was going on in the first place, but I can now create a compound path without destroying everything, which is an improvement.

TOPICS
Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Changing opacity messes up compound paths

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have run into this vexing issue several times, and though it seems to have solved itself before, I'm never sure how. 

Basically, I'm using illustrator to trace over a raster image previously created (image is meant to be a map). This means lots of compound paths and combining or subtracting shapes to create more detailed shapes. Of course, since I'm tracing over something, it makes sense to have the vector layer less than 100% transparent. However, as soon as I put the opacity below 100%, creating a compound path just makes the bottom object disappear. If I do everything as before with 100% opacity, there is no problem. I thought it might have to do with objects being of different opacities, but the same thing happens if I change the new object to the same opacity before applying the compound path.

As I said, I've managed to stumble my way into solving this problem before, but I'm never sure how. Is there a logical explanation for this and how to get around it? Apologies as I'm fairly new to illustrator, and still trying to transfer my raster experience over to vectors.

The base objects at 80% percent opacityThe base objects at 80% percent opacityNew object, which for some reason is at 100% opacityNew object, which for some reason is at 100% opacityCreating a compound path (command + 8 ) just makes the base layer disappear...Creating a compound path (command + 8 ) just makes the base layer disappear...Doing the same thing at 100% opacity works perfectly wellDoing the same thing at 100% opacity works perfectly wellA normal compound path!A normal compound path!With all at 100% I can use the pathfinder tool to subtract the object intersections as intendedWith all at 100% I can use the pathfinder tool to subtract the object intersections as intended

Just an update that selecting "Clear Appearance" in the Appearance box then reapplying the opacity change to the whole layer seemed to fix things (after a great deal of trial and error). Still unsure what was going on in the first place, but I can now create a compound path without destroying everything, which is an improvement.

TOPICS
Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0