• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Mask for Trimming Paths and Compound Shape Issues

New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey creative people. I'm hoping you can help me with an issue that has taken up a couple hours of my time and my usual presusing through youtube videos can't help me figure out. Has to do with clipping masks. I have this image of a map that I've been working with and I'm trying to crop the current map to a smaller (or zoomed in) size. The best way that I've heard to do this is with a clipping mask which you can see I'm in the process of applying here. These are all paths along with a compound shape (the river) in the areas I'm trying to crop.

Clipping mask shape, all paths, river is compound shape.Clipping mask shape, all paths, river is compound shape.

Here is the catch, when I apply the clipping mask it works fine, but I need to trim the clipped artwork outside the mask borders. I've seen videos where it instructs you to drag the clipping shape out of the clip group to the layer level and use "crop" in pathfinder, it should perform that operation but when I do this is what I get, just the compound shape remains:

Cropped Picture.JPG

My question is, how should I crop the image down and get the results that I want. I can't convert the paths or the compound shape to any other kinds of objects because I use this artwork to create tool paths for cnc plasma/wood routing. This is the end result I'm looking for. Any ideas? I have attached the AI file here as well.

Finished.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

The trouble is that pathfinders don't work with open paths. And also they do surprising things to strokes.

You can try and use the eraser tool. Press Alt and drag a rectangle around the parts of the drawing that you want to delete. The eraser tool might alter the (remainings) parts of the paths slightly as well. You need to check if it's in a way you can accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble is that pathfinders don't work with open paths. And also they do surprising things to strokes.

You can try and use the eraser tool. Press Alt and drag a rectangle around the parts of the drawing that you want to delete. The eraser tool might alter the (remainings) parts of the paths slightly as well. You need to check if it's in a way you can accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monika,

Thank you, that worked! I was hoping there would be a more precise way but that did the trick. I was able to just delete the extraneous paths after that. Since this is for a toolpath the path end are not as important. I appreciate your help.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines