• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Mask Loses Stroke

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goal is to draw a tongue for my character. I have the mouth and the tongue shapes separate. I drew them with the brush tool. Like so:

Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.10.15.png

So, I select the tongue shape > cut > select mouth shape > Draw Inside > Paste Inside = Illustrator decides to lose the border of the mouth. Like so:

Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.10.50.png

What the bejeezies is going on, Illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

That is how a clipping mask was designed to work.

How to use and edit clipping masks in Illustrator

Regardless of its previous attributes, a clipping mask changes to an object with no fill or stroke.

So once you have completed the clipping mask, duplicate the mask object and add the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

By default, a clipping mask gets no stroke; initially, at least. To get it back, you can use the Direct Select tool (white arrow) to select the mouth-object path and reapply your stroke color/weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is how a clipping mask was designed to work.

How to use and edit clipping masks in Illustrator

Regardless of its previous attributes, a clipping mask changes to an object with no fill or stroke.

So once you have completed the clipping mask, duplicate the mask object and add the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am missing some technical part here, but I want to let you know, Adobe, that from user's point of view, such behavior regarding clipping objects is very strange and inconvenient to work with. It is not practical to duplicate a shape just for the stroke. Because in case I wanted to change the shape of the mask, I will now have to additionally change the shape of the stroked object as well - it just doubles the amount of work, and nobody wants that.

This is a rare case when you could actually learn from CorelDraw (though usually it`s vice-versa). Their PowerClip tool/feature lets you clip objects, but it doesn't change the objects' appearance. And that is how it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, a clipping mask gets no stroke; initially, at least. To get it back, you can use the Direct Select tool (white arrow) to select the mouth-object path and reapply your stroke color/weight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using "draw inside" the clipping path shouldn't lose its appearance. And I have just tried: it doesn't lose it.

If it does lose its appearance for you then either:

- you don't use "Draw inside"

- Illustrator has gone weird and you should at least restart the computer. But maybe other measures are necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Draw inside" doesn't work to keep the brush stroke with clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because brush strokes are not allowed on clipping masks at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines