Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Mask or pathfinder...

May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a complicated vector graphic made up of lots colours including spot colours and overprint (Its for a UV Printer) . I need to place some text over the graphic and then add a stroke around the text. Easy enough. The problem then comes when I need the stroke to become invisible and knockout the stroke shape from the complicated vector graphic that is behind. Any ideas? Thanks peeps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, I think it would be pretty helpful if you could provide a sample Illustrator file including some further instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt, I'm using Illustrator 2021.

Here is an example of what I would like to do. I want to knockout the letters, rather than mask them. The file will be printed onto colour fabric, so I want the letters to be transparent. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barring complications I'm not familiar with or am overlooking, group the lettering and background, activate Knockout Group in the Appearance panel. Set the opacity of the text's fill or stroke, as desired, to 0%.

tromboniator_0-1621742024264.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked Peter! Thank you so much for your clear instruction. I also had to do the same with a compound path which didn't work, but I followed your same principle but just gave the opacity 1%, that did the trick! Thank so much! Zoe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Zoe! I'm glad you found it useful.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines