Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Path Layers Being Added Automatically - Doing my head in

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know the basics of illustrator but definitely need to do a lot of tutorials still.

I have recently changed from old CS5 software to the latest Creative Cloud version.

When I work on an AI file on my MacBook laptop and then open it on my iMac desktop and visa versa, then automatically all these extra Clipping path layers appear above each group of sub-layers. In order to edit anything, I first have to manually go and drag an drop each automatically created clipping layer to the trash. This really wastes a lot of time as I work between both the computers during the day.

It also happens when I download stock images or get AI files from a client then there are always these clipping layers which prevent me form editing or doing anything until I delete them.

Why does this happen?

What am I doing wrong?

What's the purpose of these Clipping layers?

Can you recommend an tutorial that explains this?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Emielke

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same Illustrator version on both machines?

What file format are you using to exchange?

Any warning or error messages that appear when opening files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I downloaded the exact same version of Illustrator onto both machines when I joined the Creative Cloud at the end of last year. I work on .ai files which I have saved on Dropbox on my laptop and then later open the same file on my desktop and visa versa. No warnings or error messages.

It also happens when I download stock files or receive vector files from clients - both .ai and .pdf. But I guess that's becuase they were made in different versions?

🙂 Emielke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you are seeing happens when newer files are opened in older version. Then Illustrator opens the embedded PDF which contains the clipping masks.

When you only have a PDF, then it will look like that as well.

When your clients have anolder version, open your files, do something and then save, you will get this as well.

Please see this about Illustrator files: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open your old CS5 files in the new version and then edit them and then save them, you have to always use "Save as".

Otherwise you would be saving into the old version of the file, which will ruin everything you did with newer functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

This is happening with files created in the lateste version though.

🙂 Emielke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines