• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collecting Compound Paths to one image

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admittedly I am not great with Illustrator. I am recreating a sign and I found the image I need as a vector on shutterstock. It is a body made up of many compound paths each with their own stroke/fill. The entire image has no background and I can't add a stroke to the image as a whole. How do I collect all of the paths to one image that I can manipulate. I have tried live paint, shape, etc. This swimmer has to be placed on top of other artwork so I need to be able to fill in the whole body.

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, it would certainly be helpful if you were providing some screenshots or sketches with further instructions that may explain what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Ilustrator 2021.

Sorry I tried to attach files yesterday when I posted but the images kept getting rejected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select the object(s) and show a screenshot of the layers panel?

Insert screenshots using this button:

Screenshot 2021-05-20 125256.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go, and thank you for looking at it

Screenshot at Jun 11 10-55-14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to preserve the separate colours?

If so, you can add a stroke to the group as a whole.

If not, you can select them all and press Ctrl+8 (create compound path). Then they will be a single compound path with a unified appearance that you can apply a stroke to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I really need the 'body' to be white and then to add a white stroke around just the outside of the image. When I add stroke to the compound path it goes around all of the pieces individually and not the whole picture. I hope that makes sense. Attached is the portion of the sign I am trying to recreate  I tried converting it to shape, rasterizing etc. I have searched google, but I know I am not asking the question right.

I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to create a Live Paint group pretty easily. Perhaps you need to Ungroup and then allow for larger gaps as there are some pretty big ones in this. But otherwise, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to create a Live Paint group. Once done, go to Appearance Panel, create a stroke, then on Appearance Panel, go to Effects, Path>Offset and it will change the stroke from going around each object individually to around them as a whole. Hope that helps and makes sense. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfect for the stroke. Thank you!   Do you know of a way to fill in the body so the body is not transparent? I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using the Live Trace with a larger Gap Setting didn't work? If that won't work, then the only thing I can suggest is to make a shape underneath that would look like it is filling it in. Hopefully you know how to use the pen tool and can create a shape. The only places you need to be really exact are where you want to close those gaps and any place that the lines are thinner, but otherwise just create a general shape in the form of the swimmer and water. You can also use the pencil tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines