Color Flicker in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing an issue in Illustrator where the colors on screen slightly flicker or shift in value. It is especially noticeable on bright, saturated color. It's a little difficult to explain but the video will show what I'm seeing. This is only happening in Illustrator and it doesn't happen all the time. The screen recording is from my Macbook Pro.

Could this be a hardware issue?

My setup:
2019 Macbook Pro
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Adobe Illustrator 25.1

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021
This COULD (but shouldn't) be an issue with your graphics card. It's possible your GPU is creating the problem - although I have to imagine, it's within Adobe specifications. Please turn off the GPU functions at Preferences> Performance, and see if that resolves the issue. If so, maybe talk to Apple about this, as the GPU on that model should be sufficient. 

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This COULD (but shouldn't) be an issue with your graphics card. It's possible your GPU is creating the problem - although I have to imagine, it's within Adobe specifications. Please turn off the GPU functions at Preferences> Performance, and see if that resolves the issue. If so, maybe talk to Apple about this, as the GPU on that model should be sufficient. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for shedding some light on this. It looks like the GPU setting is the culprit. However, the problem with the flicker only happens occasionaly. Basically turning off the GPU setting and then turning it back on seems to help stablize it. I'm going to see what Apple may have to say as well. I've also had GPU issues with Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem, looks like this has not been solved yet (MacBook Air (M1, 2020)) turning off CPU in settings solved the matter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have any response from Apple? I'm having the same issue and turning off GPU worked fine. However, AI is now sluggishly slow moving around artboards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
No I haven’t had contact with Apple about this - in my case turning the GPU toggle off and later on again fixed the issue temporary (still annoying, and I hope it will be fixed in coming updates).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a 2019 Mac Book Pro and having the same issues. It seems turning off the GPU functions have solved the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines