• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color not displaying the same on different displays.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am making a design where it is using the color codes: ACD36C and 6B8D3B. My color has been showing up as more of a neon color than a pastel/pale color on some displays (i.e. on my Pixel 4 it is neon, but on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon it is the correct color even in JPG form). I export it as a JPG because that is what the assignment has to be submitted as. How can I remedy this? Thank you for your time. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Andrew,

I agree with Ceyhun that you should work in RGB; the colour codes mentioned clearly seem to indicate that it is for web/screen use.

This will reduce the differences in what is seen on screen, as will colour management as suggested by all, on (correspondingly) colour calibrated monitors.

But the harsh reality pointed out by Mylenium is that however delicate the colours (appear) on your carefully calibrated monitor, it will appear (quite) differently on most of the unmanaged/uncalibr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the Insert Photos button and not the attach option for  your example images.

What is your document working color space? Do you save the color space with the image when exporting?

Do the applications that display your image support color management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: Without color management none of this matters and most mobile devices are not color managed to begin with. Aside from the fact that you are chasing unicorns if you obsess about matching colors on every device, the real honest answer here likely is that you have to read up on using CM, calibrate your work monitor and also dig into your mobile device's screen settings to disable features like boosting contrast to improve legability, night modes and whatever may affect how colors are rendered on your Pixel phone. Rinse repeat for every device/ computer you come across. The other alternative to this is to simply forego any CM and eyeball everything on a reasonably good monitor using standard sRGB settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,

I have done some research on CM and I have found a solution it seems, atleast in terms of an exported JPG from my laptop to my Pixel 4. The color has been corrected by using "No color match" and switching from CMYK to RGB. Will this cause any problems in other areas?Final_Works every time project_Andrew Heltzel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to set a color to be used for web, mobile and tv as RGB.

The color you change from CMYK to RGB will not be correct. Because CMYK produces a narrower color gamut. RGB has a wider color gamut.

Colors have numerical values. These numerical values ​​create the same color all over the world.

However, not everyone sees the color in these numerical values ​​in the same way. Why: The color reproduction features of the monitors, the lights in your environment and most importantly, what is the ICC Profile that interprets the color.

If the monitor has not been color calibrated, you will see the same color differently numerically. If you intervene to correct this discrepancy, you will have made a BUG. Because you do not see the color correctly, you spoil a correct color.

You must use the correct ICC profile.
Screen calibration must be done correctly.
Your work table should have a GRI Matte surface.
Working office walls should be gray. It should not be a dominant color in yellow, red and blue.
Your office lighting should be right.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you color managing and calibrating monitors? Using the same color space? And, if it is an assignment, your teacher will be looking at it on another screen, so the color will be different as well. Color is a huge issue that schools often do not adequately address and certainly can't handle color shifts in the grading process unfortunately. But most teachers will understand the problem, just make sure you are in the correct color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

I agree with Ceyhun that you should work in RGB; the colour codes mentioned clearly seem to indicate that it is for web/screen use.

This will reduce the differences in what is seen on screen, as will colour management as suggested by all, on (correspondingly) colour calibrated monitors.

But the harsh reality pointed out by Mylenium is that however delicate the colours (appear) on your carefully calibrated monitor, it will appear (quite) differently on most of the unmanaged/uncalibrated/featured devices/screens it will be viewed on, often frightfully so. And even more seriously: the more delicate colours and the better your monitor (calibration), the worse it may look to the viewers.

If you have certain predetermined specifications, I am afraid it is better to let go, without hoping that viewers will see the same, let alone trying to educate viewers.

If you have the freedom to choose the (appearance of the) colours, you may start out with the desired managed/calibrated colours and then try to adapt them to look good/reasonable/tolerable for viewers on (some) different unmanaged/uncalibrated/featured and still look good/reasonable to you, and to the (few) others seeing what you see.

In other words, you may consider your settling for an average of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob. While everyone here was extremely helpful and it resulted me spending a few more hours researching color management, I found Jacob's response the most valuable for my level  of understanding at this skillset. I appreciate the time and effort, you saved me a few more hours of research with your words. Stay safe everyone, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Andrew, with the addition that time spent on colour management (understanding) is well spent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An article I wrote for graphic studios and designers.

Color Management article. Language Turkish

https://www.baskioncesi.com/downloads/files/Adobe%20RENK%20YONETIMI.pdf 

Ekran Resmi 2020-09-23 03.43.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ceyhun, I tried this translation option, but the article is too long,

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.baskioncesi.com%2Fdownloads%2Ff...

is there a way to a translation option, or to an English version that most can read?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote this tutorial article in the InDesign program. I can recreate text and images on a blog page. If you wish, google translate etc. via blog. You can read using.
When I finish the preparation, I share it with the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Ceyhun.

Reading some of the first parts of the text by inserting them in Google Translate, I like the way it begins with the beginning.

Maybe shorter articles can be used straight away for all to read, (using the roundabout way of) inserting the link in a(n English language) Google Search and then posting the resulting link with translation option; that was what I tried to do (and failed) in the first place with the current article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines