Highlighted

Colors are muted/desaturated (in RGB)

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While recently creating some new swatches, it appeared to me that the colors (as opposed to their hex values) weren't displaying accurately.  When compared (side by side) to the web page that I pulled my colors from, illustrator's coloring appears washed-out/desaturated.  I went through all my color settings... I'm in RGB mode... and still scratching my head.  Any thoughts?  Hex values are both #00BBFE

Oddly... when I paste vectors into XD, the coloring is accurate.

SCREENSHOT:  Left side of image is an active webpage... right is illustrator's version of the same color.  TY

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 8.00.29 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colors are muted/desaturated (in RGB)

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While recently creating some new swatches, it appeared to me that the colors (as opposed to their hex values) weren't displaying accurately.  When compared (side by side) to the web page that I pulled my colors from, illustrator's coloring appears washed-out/desaturated.  I went through all my color settings... I'm in RGB mode... and still scratching my head.  Any thoughts?  Hex values are both #00BBFE

Oddly... when I paste vectors into XD, the coloring is accurate.

SCREENSHOT:  Left side of image is an active webpage... right is illustrator's version of the same color.  TY

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 8.00.29 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your color management settings?

Which color profile for the document?

Is the soft proof turned on and how is it set up?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

I'm working on a web project and in RGB mode.

Color Profile:  Working RGB - sRGBIEC61966-2.1

Soft proof is not on... I'm in GPU Preview.

Below image is my original screenshot embedded back in my illustrator document.  Even stranger...  the color of blue has changed yet again.  To the far left (browser blue/screenshot) is the color I'm after.  I can't figure out what I'm missing. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.13.57 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your workflow.

You're taking screenshots and embedding them in your document?

When taking a screenshot, the system grabs what your monitor displays. And that might be affected by the color management setup in your system. And if your system applies a color profile to that screenshot which does not match the working RGB profile in Illustrator then of course depending on your setup Illustrator might convert the numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  (Resolved - for now) I went into my system preferences and found my display color settings set to "iMac".  I then changed the profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (to match my Ai settings) and my hex values are now displaying correctly in Ai.  I don't recall ever altering my system color settings but have since experimented and changed the settings and Working Space values in Ai and it has no great effect on anything - this doesn't make sense to me.  I can't put my finger on it, but there would seem to be a color conflict with the latest release of Ai (I'm still on 10.11.1 - El Capitan).

Hi Monika

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

My workflow is this...

I create a new RGB document

I draw out a simple square and apply a hex value of #00BBFE

The problem is this:  Illustrator is not accurately displaying the applied hex value.  Instead, it's giving me a desaturated and washed out blue as compared to the same blue with the same hex value in google chrome and other applications.  The other apps in CC all seem to accurately represent the applied color value.

The screenshots are simply there as examples to demonstrate the interpreted color differences within illustrator and another application... in this case google chrome.  Further, when I embed the screenshot into my document (for testing purposes), illustrator desaturates the blue even further.  Illustrator has this effect on any embedded color image that I place into my document.

In short, within the last week I have noticed that illustrator is not accurately outputting/displaying the true color of my hex values.  I have made comparisons within other CC apps and my browser and the coloring within those all match up up and are consistent.  Does that make sense? 

Here is a screenshot of my color settings.  I have experimented with the values but to no avail and I have not deliberately changed any values prior to this issue.  Thank you.

Derek

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.02.59 PM.png

This is all very confusing to me as well but here is another screenshot... starting form the left is #00BBFE in Chrome, Ai, and XD.  You can see that without changing my system color settings, the blue is consistent in both Chrome and XD, but not illustrator.  What is the explanation for this?

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 10.39.58 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are converting colors to working space. That's the reason why Illustrator alters your screenshot colors.

What is setup in your color proof?

What happens when you work on CPU?

Is Overprint preview turned on?

And then there's still the color setup in the system.

What happens when you "Save for web"? Then don't use any system tools to measure color, but instead open the exported image in Photoshop and use the color picker. But be careful with the setup: don't use any interpolation and pick up 1x1 pixel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do my best to answer these... as I said, I'm very confused

Color Management:  Regardless as to wether I had the options set to off, preserve, or working space... it had no effect for me.  I also changed conversion options and engine, but both produced the same result.

Proof Setup:  Originally set to Internet Standard RGB (sRGB), now set to Monitor RGB.  (didn't have an effect for me)

Wether CPU or GPU... no difference.

In attributes: Overprint is not checked

System Color:  As I mentioned - some where in that ^^ mess lol, my system display color was set to the default "iMac profile" which was never an issue for me.  Further experimenting with these options, I selected sRGBxxxxxx and mysteriously, Ai was once again producing accurate colors (against known hex values).  So to confirm, this has corrected my issue for now.  Btw, I don't typically change these settings and seldom create documents for print.  I mostly work in RGB.

Save for web or export:  Oddly, my exported images were also experiencing the color issue.  That is why when "placing" a png image exported in Ai (including my screenshots), back into Ai, it further washed out the color and when opening the same png in a browser, the colors were also inaccurate in comparison to their hex values. It's all very confusing to me at this point - still.  I've been working with Ai for 10+ and have not experienced any color issues such as this.  I find it odd that colors would render differently across applications.  If I was to switch my display profile back to 'iMac' the color values are unaffected in other apps including my browser ut washed out in Ai.

Nonetheless, I'm happy with the fix for now. 

Thank you for your help with this and for asking questions, as to further excite my brain. 

Best

Derek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome and glad you could fix it.

I was not referring to the Overprint setting, but to View > Overprint preview.

In the View menu you will also find the Soft proof

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Todd5 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I was having similar issues with colours from Flash (Animate) not transfering correctly to illustrator via SVG...muted and desturated. After trying to trouble shoot using the methods discussed here, I ended up syncing colour settings using Bridge. Otherwise, the hack that seemed to work was not using the GPU settings in illustrator...but I wanted to avoid that since I love using them! Hope this can help someone.

2017 21" iMac running on Mohave.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines