Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors in Illustrator dont match actual colors PNG

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I made a sketch and chose colors for my illustration in Procreate on my iPad. I exported it to PNG so I could open it in illustrator and turn it into a vector illustration.

When I open the PNG in illustrator, the colors are less saturated. But when I open it in Photoshop or even InDesign, the colors are how they're supposed to be.

So I tried opening the PNG file in Photoshop, eyedrop the HEX code in photoshop and paste it in illustrator. The color changes into a lot less saturated version, but the HEX code ramains the same....

When I export the illustration in Photoshop to PNG, the colors of the Photoshop-PNG are perfect. When I export it to PNG from illustrator, the PNG is less saturated.

Left: photoshop export

Right: ilustrator export

Schermafbeelding 2020-09-02 om 12.08.01.png

Does anyone know how I can get this right? My color settings are synchronised trough Bridge, so they should be the same and my color mode is on RGB.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Illustrator seems to ignore color profiles in png files.

It seems like your PNG from Procreate has a different profile than sRGB but Illustrator assumes sRGB.

Can you resave the PNG as PSD or JPEG in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much!

I saved the PNG as a PSD file and placed it in Illustrator. Now I got the colors that I want!

When I eyedrop the same PSD file in Photoshop and in Illustrator, I get different HEX codes from it.

It's not a problem for me at the moment, but I still think that's really weird.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I open the PNG in illustrator, the colors are less saturated. "

What is the document color mode when the png is opened in Illustrator?

Doc profile.png

Is it different compared to your RGB working space?

Can you try to Place the png instead of Open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

When I open it, the color mode is Untagged RGB

When I place it, the color mode of the PNG is the same as the color profile of Illustrator: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

But when I compare them, I dont see any difference in color. They're both less saturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator seems to ignore color profiles in png files.

It seems like your PNG from Procreate has a different profile than sRGB but Illustrator assumes sRGB.

Can you resave the PNG as PSD or JPEG in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

I saved the PNG as a PSD file and placed it in Illustrator. Now I got the colors that I want!

When I eyedrop the same PSD file in Photoshop and in Illustrator, I get different HEX codes from it.

It's not a problem for me at the moment, but I still think that's really weird.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maarlie, depending on what you have set and the choices you make for conflicts, the same color numbers can result in different colors and different numbers can result in the same color appearance.

Different RGB working spaces will have different color numbers for how the same color looks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines