• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour keeps changing from what I set it to.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My document is set to CMYK. I created a colour in my library. I set the colour using the CMYK values, lets say 0, 0, 55, 0. I add it to the swatches. I click the colour in the swathes for an object. Hm. Doesn't look right. I check the colour setting again and… it's changed to something slightly different! Like 4, 0, 51, 0! It's also changed it for the library entry.

What the **** is going on? Why won't it obey my colour choice!?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

You set the color when you add it to the library.

If I create a color in a CMYK document and add it to the Library I get CMYK back in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Document Color Mode set to CMYK? You can choose CMYK color values, but if the document is set to RGB it will change the values. You can change with File / Document Color Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, can't edit that post... I just mean to make SURE the document is CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is def set to CMYK, that's the first thing I checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been happening with every document, whether I create it completely new or open a document that I'd already created in the past.

I am not at liberty to share the specific document, unfortunately, but again, it has been happening with every document.

Here is what I do. In the my library pane, I right-click and select edit for the colour. I change the CMYK values to what I want. I click OK. I then right-click the color and add it to swatches. Then I go to my document, click on an element, go to the swatches, click on the colour, and then check it. Suddenly it's different! The CMYK values have changed! I go back to the library pane and click edit on the colour again and, it's those changed values! WHY!? WHY WON'T IT LET ME CHOOSE MY COLOURS! It's a simple CMYK colour: 0,0,60,0! Why does it change it to 4,0,59,0!? This happenes with a grey colour that I want as well!

It MUST be a bug, so PLEASE forward this to engeineers and FIX IT ASAP.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 18.48.56.pngScreenshot 2021-03-11 at 18.50.37.pngScreenshot 2021-03-11 at 18.49.28.pngScreenshot 2021-03-11 at 18.55.31.png

AND YOUR STUPID VIDEO INSERTION THING DOESN'T WORK. IT GIVES AN ERROR: "Please enter a valid video URL. For example, a YouTube video URL might look like 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abc123', where 'abc123' is the ID of a YouTube video."

HERE IS THE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7RHMPuTUcc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see at the top of your window in the titlebar of your document that it is an RGB document.

Create an CMYK document to keep CMYK values from converting.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 21.17.56.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just a tab of another document, as you can see it's dark grey not highlited, it's not the active document. As I have said multiple times above, checking the colour setting was the first thing I did and it is most certainly CMYK.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 20.23.36.pngScreenshot 2021-03-11 at 20.23.25.png

I'm not stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow the color gets converted from RGB to CMYK.

If I type your RGB color 255/244/130 (as it shows in your video) and look at the CMYK conversion, I get:

4/0/59/0

It looks like the color in your CClibrary is an RGB color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I edit the colour from the library I enter the values as CMYK, and there is no option to set the colour in the library as CMYK or RGB. The box for editing the colour offers fields for all the possible colour systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set the color when you add it to the library.

If I create a color in a CMYK document and add it to the Library I get CMYK back in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, then what's the point of having all the fields editable in a the edit box and no indication of what colour system the library colour is set to?

This is such a bad user interface design!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but I'm confused. What do you actually do to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but I'm confused. What do you actually do to fix it?

By @ShayShayShay

The same issue? Which issue? I'm seeing RGB and CMYK discussed in this thread.

So please give us the details of your issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have the an issue in that when I enter a color and the values get changed, but I just realized my document was not in the correct color mode. Oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to all of us. Thank you for  the feedback.

Happy holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding here but I also have this issue and don't know how to rectify it. I have a CMYK doc, and a colour in the library which constantly changes the CMYK colour values (presumably back to RGB colour values as I must have created it in an RGB doc in the first place). It's barely perceptible, but I notice it.

As I am working with prescribed colours for a brand, each one has their values in both RGB and CMYK (which I thought would return the same colour, but I guess not). So is the solution to have two sets of (practically) the same colours? One set created in RGB for RGB docs and the others created in CMYK for CMYK docs? If so, I do think this should be highlighted in some way as it has been maddening having to change the colours each time, only to see them change slightly moments after I've changed them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you add a color to a CC library, there will be no color profile attached.

The only way to get the same color back is to use the CC library color in a document with the same color mode and the same color profile that was used when the color was added to the library. But you will not be warned when the color is different.

The only colors that are color managed are the colors that are added as part of an object and dragged from the library as embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines