Highlighted

Colours of exported jpg (RGB) look dramatically different on phone vs. PC screen

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm having an issue that I just can't work out. I'm self-taught in Illustrator, so it's very possible there is something quite simple that I'm missing!

I have artwork I am trying to export as a jpg, but the colours are dramatically different on my phone screen vs. my computer screen (e.g. the purple on my computer is looking closer to orange on my phone). I have tried exporting older artwork that I haven't had issues with before and I'm experiencing the same problem (though not quite as extreme).

The document was set up in the default sRGB colour mode and I'm exporting it as RGB. I have tried changing settings, preserving colour settings, embedding colour settings, saving for web, saving for screen, saving as a PDF, exporting as a PNG - literally nothing I've tried has worked and I'm always getting the same result. 

Really hoping someone can help, as I'm tearing my hair out!

Chloë

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Colours of exported jpg (RGB) look dramatically different on phone vs. PC screen

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm having an issue that I just can't work out. I'm self-taught in Illustrator, so it's very possible there is something quite simple that I'm missing!

I have artwork I am trying to export as a jpg, but the colours are dramatically different on my phone screen vs. my computer screen (e.g. the purple on my computer is looking closer to orange on my phone). I have tried exporting older artwork that I haven't had issues with before and I'm experiencing the same problem (though not quite as extreme).

The document was set up in the default sRGB colour mode and I'm exporting it as RGB. I have tried changing settings, preserving colour settings, embedding colour settings, saving for web, saving for screen, saving as a PDF, exporting as a PNG - literally nothing I've tried has worked and I'm always getting the same result. 

Really hoping someone can help, as I'm tearing my hair out!

Chloë

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your Color Settings have not been Synchronized in Bridge. In Bridge, go to Edit > Color Settings. And in the dialog that opens, pick a Color Profile, and press the Apply button. This will make the color in all Adobe apps look the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

When opening it in my phone, I'm not using any Adobe apps to view. As the purpose of the artwork is for social media posts, I'm not sure this will solve my problem. Definitely something I'll bear in mind though in case of a similar problem within Adobe in future!

Thanks again for taking the time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can calibrate a computer monitor and then you can synchronize your color settings, but I am not sure that that will take care of color shifts between different devices. I don't know that a phone can be color calibrated. And if you are creating jpgs that are going to be posted, it is always guess work as what color the monitor of the viewer will be. That is the digital world for you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.

Yes, the jpgs I'm creating are for social media. I've tried looking at the artwork on three different phones, but none of them match what I see on the computer screen. Perhaps the issue is with my computer and I need to calibrate the screen as you suggested? It wouldn't be so much of a problem if the colours weren't dramatically different! It's just strange that I've been using the same process for a couple of years and am experiencing issues with it now - not sure what's changed!

Thanks anyway for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you buy a new monitor? Some monitors are not suitable for creating social media graphics, they are too advanced. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing has changed except creating new artwork - same laptop, same tablet, same phone and same software (no updates). I'm wondering if it's a computer issue rather than Adobe-related, because the exported jpg looks fine on the laptop outside of any Adobe apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chloë,

In addition to what Michele said, social media are notorious for quality destruction, whatever you do.

You can choose a way forward somewhere in the range between creating it as desired and letting it go (and be destroyed) and testing it on different devices and social media and adapting it to be least worst on those (if at all possible); you can ask friends to have a look on theirs.

Many years (more than one decade less than two) ago someone asked in this forum what to do about fine artwork (on a high quality calibrated monitor) that looked awful on random monitors out there.

My suggestion was to aquire one or more used/cheap (obviously uncalibrated) low quality monitors for reference, and the asker and (at least) a few others actually decided to do so.

Obviously, it is much easier now, looking over shoulders.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines