• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Command + S does NOT result in a correct saving of a Illustrator 2020 file, no error message appears

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple users from our production department are reporting a very serious Illustrator problem. It sometimes happens that if they make changes in a file and press command + S the saving Illustrator shows it is saving the file (modification date in the file is correct) but if they reopen the file the last changes they made are not saved. We only became aware of the problem because we got complains and because of that we unfortunately still have no clues wat may cause the problem. What we do know is that the Problem does NOT occur if the document is saved as (command + shift + s).

At the moment our users are on the 24.3.0 Mac version but because we have not noticed the problems right away it could also already happened in previous versions. We additionally have the 7.0.4.641725 Extenis font auto activation plug-in installed. It appears not to make a difference if the user saves locally or on a network share, but this is not 100% confirmed.

is someone having the same issues?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Since the saving is working when done as a "Save As" it sound like the files are being saved somewhere else other than where they should be when just the "Save" command is used. I would suggest that the next time this happens try doing search of the computer's hard drive using the exact name of the file and see if a second copy of the file exists somewhere else on the drive. If a second copy is found see if that one has all of the changes that were made and possibly a later modification date.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and deselect the "background save" in the Illustrator preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,
how likely is this causing the problem?  I'm asking because one user whom suffered from this problem told me that he already had this option deselected. But he works on multiple devices and therefore was not fully 100% sure that the option was deselected at the moment he was working on that particular file.

thanx, Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just one possible cause of the issue.

Idon't keep track of the probability. It's happening a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, I just receieved an info that the user was at the moment of the issue, on a device where background saving was on. So, you are saying it is happening a lot. Do I unsterstand correctly that the error is already commonly known? The only hint I have is that all users which where having this issue are still on Mojave. (becaus of compatiblity issues with another software vendor and Catalina).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know what you're referring to with "commonly known".

On this forum most of us are just normal users. We have no information about what the developers or the Helpdesk knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the saving is working when done as a "Save As" it sound like the files are being saved somewhere else other than where they should be when just the "Save" command is used. I would suggest that the next time this happens try doing search of the computer's hard drive using the exact name of the file and see if a second copy of the file exists somewhere else on the drive. If a second copy is found see if that one has all of the changes that were made and possibly a later modification date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for your hint, we will try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines