Highlighted

Compound Path does not work properly when exporting as DXF file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I export an Ai work as a DXF file, the compound path effects seems not to perform properly, the spaces that are supposed to be clear are not visible, and when selecting the vectors from the DXF file some of the shapes are missing (see third image below) .

Does anyone had this issue before?

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.54.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.58.31 PM.png

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Compound Path does not work properly when exporting as DXF file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I export an Ai work as a DXF file, the compound path effects seems not to perform properly, the spaces that are supposed to be clear are not visible, and when selecting the vectors from the DXF file some of the shapes are missing (see third image below) .

Does anyone had this issue before?

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.54.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.58.31 PM.png

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the .ai file release the compounds, then I would color thema  a dummy color like cyan. then with the 3 pockets grouped use pathfinder minus front. So you are rebuilding the compund path to be one item, not nested compound paths. In postscript these are seen different, and the old .dxf export is not updated to be smart enough to deal with nested compound paths..

1.PNG2.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for your feedback, I followed your prompts, the minus front tool works well, it creates the effect as the command + 8 for joint compound, the only thing is that once the file is exported as DXF, and then open it to check out results, some vector lines were still missing. 

What I did: released all compounds, ungrouped the image, then removed color fill, added cyan color to strokes, 1 pt thickness, selected the image with the black pointer and exported as DXF. After this, I opened the DXF file -again on Ai, as I don't have any other software to test it- and now there's no missing vectors, either on previous view, or outline view. See attached screenshot, many thanks for your time though!

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.53.24 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines