• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Compound Path>Release) with (Blend>Make) to draw one line between paths doesn't work anymore ?

Participant ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

A few days ago it was working properly with me as expected,

But I am trying to do the same thing today but it does not work anymore,

I do not know if I forgot something, or perhaps when it was working I had taken a step by chance that made it work and this is why it does not work now, can anyone Help me out.

@Jacob BuggeHe taught me how to create a single path line in the middle of two closed paths

using:

1-  Object>Compound Path>Release

2- Object>Blend>Blend Options

3- Object>Blend>Make, then Object>Blend>Expand...

when i was trying this above steps i got something like that (blue path i draw it by myself but when it worked for me the first time, it was created automatically, and this is what I want)

09.png

My problem now is that when I try to create the same blue path (Which is in the middle of the paths)   I see Compound Path and Blend>Make/Expand they are closed so that I cannot click at them.

This is the my interface that I want to apply the method to if this is useful to you..

09.png

..Thanks in advance..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

default01,

As far as I can see, the two screenshot show the following:

The first small screenshot shows an unselected single/simple closed path and a selected open path that represents a midline between the upper left part and the lower right part of the unselected closed path. The Layers palette says Path (not Compound Path).

The second larger shows only the closed path, but here the Layers palette says Com..., presumably meaning Compound Path. However, any path can be turned into a Compo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

default01,

As far as I can see, the two screenshot show the following:

The first small screenshot shows an unselected single/simple closed path and a selected open path that represents a midline between the upper left part and the lower right part of the unselected closed path. The Layers palette says Path (not Compound Path).

The second larger shows only the closed path, but here the Layers palette says Com..., presumably meaning Compound Path. However, any path can be turned into a Compound Path, which can then be released to get back to the (simple) Path, without any change in the path.

So you can start by performing (if still needed):

1- Object>Compound Path>Release

Furthermore, unlike the first screnshot, the second one shows no Anchor Points, so I believe you may have had a keyboard mishit and pressed Ctrl/Cmd+H with the effect of View>Hide Edges.

If that is the case, you can press Ctrl/Cmd+H again with the effect of View>Show Edges, and then it should be possible to see the Anchor Points, with one at the sharp corner at the lower left and some more, including one at the very top and one at the very right.

Such a screenshot would help helpers.

With a bit of luck, it could be possible to (always keep the original and destroy a copy):

A) Deselect the path (click an empty spot on the Artboard), then ClickDrag over the area with the Direct Selection Tool and press Delete (you can use Ctrl/Cmd+Z if you need to Undo and try again), or you can perform it on one segment at a time, just deselect and Click the segment:

B) Click the corner Anchor Point at the lower left with the Scissorst Tool;

With that bit of luck, A) and B) can give you the two open paths at the top left and bottom right you need for the Blend, only they have opposite directions to wreck it all, but then you can:

C) Deselect and then press P (for the Pen Tool) and Click the open end Anchor Point opposite to the corner of one of the paths, then repeat for the other path, and then switch to the normal Selection Tool.

Now it should be possible to perform the Blend work:

2- Object>Blend>Blend Options

3- Object>Blend>Make, then Object>Blend>Expand...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification ,
Now working fine,
But I am wondering why the first time why it worked with me completely without using the tool Scissorst Tool the path was divided and a path was created in the middle automatically without marked the corners using the Scissorst Tool tool ..

I began to doubt my memory, is this possible or am I wrong.

I remember when I drew a path like this and then implemented the steps in which you answered My in my previous question (Link bellow), then it drew a path in the middle of these paths without using the Scissorst Tool tool, 

 

09.png

Now I try to do the same thing using the same way but I can't,  Is this possible?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/is-it-possible-to-convert-two-path-lines-into-a-single-pa... them / mp / 12014469

I hope that you will excuse me for my lack of experience in the Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize now. I remembered, when it succeeded with me in the first time, I had drawn two paths (Not one as I mentioned above) like a circle, and your method succeeded exactly in creating a circle in the middle of them ..

But in any case, thank you. I learned something new today, which is how to use Scissorst Tool  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, default01, and thank you for sharing; and no reason whatsoever to apologize.

You need two paths to form the blend between, and this time you had to create them yourself, by splitting the original path.

As a curiosity, you can see what happens if you repeat the whole thing with another copy of the original path, but skip step C).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines