• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conforming text to an object

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to display the word, "HISTOGRAM," in the shape of a normal distribution.  Below is the kind of curve I'm thinking of.

Normal1.png

Combining this with the word using Illustrator's Envelope Distort yields the second image below, which is too distorted.  I think what I'm looking for is a way to just conform the tops of the letters to the curve, something like the first image below, except I'v just increased the size of each letter to approximate the effect.  In reality, the left side of the "H" should be lower than the right, the top of the "T" shouuld be slanted, rising from left to right. etc.  I realize there's a lot left unsaid in that "etc.," and I may have to just modify each letter by hand, but I thought I'd check here first to see if there's an easier way.  Thanks for any tips.

Histo1.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Firstly, the shape you want isn't just the curve, it's this:

distribution1.png

Instead of using distort with an object, you might have a better result using distort with mesh. This example uses one row and two columns -- just pull the middle anchor point up:

distribution2.png

You still get a range of little distortions that meshes always seem to get. You might clean those up by expanding the distortion and using the Convert Anchor Point tool to make straight lines out of some curves -- like the 'A', for instance:

distribution3.png

This might t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, the shape you want isn't just the curve, it's this:

distribution1.png

Instead of using distort with an object, you might have a better result using distort with mesh. This example uses one row and two columns -- just pull the middle anchor point up:

distribution2.png

You still get a range of little distortions that meshes always seem to get. You might clean those up by expanding the distortion and using the Convert Anchor Point tool to make straight lines out of some curves -- like the 'A', for instance:

distribution3.png

This might then be good enough for your purposes. But the best, cleanest result is always from constructing guides and drawing the letterforms yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent!  Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines