• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert multiple lines at once (width profile tool/Breitenprofil)

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HeyHo

Is there a way to use the width profile tool (ger.: Breitenprofil) on several lines at the same time so that, for example, when I draw spikes I don't have to click and convert each line individually?

Thank you so far for the answer

best

Konrad

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

yes, you can use this section.

for more handy process try this:

- using black arrow (Selection tool), select all the needed lines.

- do not use Width tool. Go to Window > Stroke and in its bottom find the Profiles list. Choose the needed one.

2020-11-12_13-33-40.png

2020-11-12_13-34-19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you mean width tool or width profile in Stroke panel?

1. If profile, it's not a problem at all, you select all the lines and set the needed profile (in your example, Width Profile 4).

2. If tool, it works with one point a time, so you can't change several lines together. But you can make the needed profile on one line and add it to the profile list in Stroke panel, and then see point 1 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so far!

Yeah I mean the width profile in Stroke panel. Do you mean creating an own type of a line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. To apply the same width profile in Stroke panel, just select all needed lines and choose the profile. 

And yes, you can create your own profile: select a line, edit its width by Width Tool and click "Add To Profiles" button at the bottom of the profile list. You will be able to use it even in other AI projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Anna,

if I select several lines, the width profile in the stroke panel cannot be activated. That is the basic problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we use different AI versions? Mine is the latest, but tonight I can check AI19 for this option

line1.jpg

line2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same version (I think!?) but when I mark several lines I can't activate the profiles. I works only one by one (which is pretty annoying by the time;).aaaa_pic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say anything because there is no stroke controls on this screenshot 🙂

Show please the one with Stroke panel open or with Control panel (Window > Control) or with Stroke section of Properties panel open.

UPD: looking more carefully, I see that you use a Width Tool, not Stroke Width Profile. Yes, as I said before, the tool works with one line a time.

Using general Move tool (the black arrow in Tools panel), open any Stroke control (see up) and there you will find there a Profiles list (like on my screenshots) and choose the needed profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find it. The only profile Im able to find is the one in the picture (maybe we have different versions?)aaaa_pic_2.pngaaaa_pic_3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can use this section.

for more handy process try this:

- using black arrow (Selection tool), select all the needed lines.

- do not use Width tool. Go to Window > Stroke and in its bottom find the Profiles list. Choose the needed one.

2020-11-12_13-33-40.png

2020-11-12_13-34-19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!!!! 😄 😄 😄 A BiG BiG Thank you! In the german version which I use its not in the stroke section but under "contour". But it has the same shortcut! A Big THANKS, you helped me saving 45 min of work at more or less every illustation!

Take care and stay healthyaaaa_pic_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines