Highlighted

Convert Numbers/Letters to PATHS

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm looking for a solution for a file that we are setting up for an engraving company. In order to get the correct cut with the correct blade, the device needs the shapes to be set up with paths instead of outlines, so that the blade will follow the path directly. This has been particularly difficult with the numbers in the file. Does anyone have an easier way to do this? I don't want to be stuck drawing paths inside all these numbers, I probably wouldn't even get a true stroke through the center. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 10.34.06 AM.png

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Convert Numbers/Letters to PATHS

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm looking for a solution for a file that we are setting up for an engraving company. In order to get the correct cut with the correct blade, the device needs the shapes to be set up with paths instead of outlines, so that the blade will follow the path directly. This has been particularly difficult with the numbers in the file. Does anyone have an easier way to do this? I don't want to be stuck drawing paths inside all these numbers, I probably wouldn't even get a true stroke through the center. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 10.34.06 AM.png

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Unfortunately, you have to do it by hand.

Depending on the font you can split the path and try to find the center with a blend.

But is a test and error journey.

Check this quick video with a sample (not always work) --- Centerline

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 Suggestion 1 There is a solution

SOLUTION 1
• I wrote the article in Helvetica Thin font.
• I contracted inward with Offset Path. The value you see is variable, the size of the article depends on its size.
• I break the points with the SCISSOR tool from Illustrator ToolBox to turn them into a path.
RELATED VISUALS ARE AT THE ATTACHED

2. Step2. Step1. Step1. Step
1. RECOMMENDATION
There are programs that are used in packaging designs, especially drawing Box Technical drawings. These programs do folding, cutting line, dimensioning.

These programs use typography in simple ways to write the dimensions of the technical drawings.

Fonts used or a special script / plug-in should be investigated.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines