• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to Vector HUGE file size

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super new to AI and still feeling very lost.  So far, I'm just working on converting images (5-10 mb) to a vector/svg file.  When I do, the file size goes to 45-55 mb.  I'm still using another program (Inkscape) for my designs because I can only handle a few new things at a time. šŸ™‚

• I've tried to shrink the size of my image prior to turning into a vector and I lose too much quality.
  • I've shrunk my image after turning it into a vector (500 px) before saving and it's still 45+mp
  • I've tried saving as a compressed svg and ai and eps but they are still large files and don't work correctly with my other program.

I'm not sure what to try next.  Thank you.

Tonya

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forum help) to Illustrator].

Raster images are pixel based.  Vectors are math path based.  Simply converting raster (pixels) to vector (math) seldom works as expected.   OPTION 1: Create vectors in the first place and save as .ai, .eps or .svg files.  OPTION 2: Trace over the raster image in Illustrator thus creating a whole new vector graphic.

See this 15 min video from PiXimperfect.  It's 4 years old but still relevant I think.

Also see this:

https://www.stickermule.com/blog/how-to-use-image-trace-in-adobe-illustrator

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  This is not what I'm doing.  I have large photographs that I'm turning into vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question this always brings up for me is: do you really need to? What are you hoping to gain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I am creating designs out of images, using various dogs (some not great photos) and making merchandise.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the size anyone is going to look at that, the information is much more efficiently conveyed in pixel images. Is there some reason you need vector files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have large photographs that I'm turning into vectors."

That will never work, sorry.  Photographs cannot be converted to usable vector graphics.  There are simply too many colors (16 million) and & ill defined paths for proper vector output.  

Stick with JPG for photos.  Use vectors for flat images containing less than 20 colors. Vectors are ideal for icons, logos, branding, infographics, character animator puppets, comics, drawings, illustrations and text.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Super disappointed as I've had this process done by artists and even came to me as ai files. It's the only reason I even purchased this program. šŸ˜ž

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artists will often redraw, using their skill and experience, a photo. Just as they could do it on paper. No way you can replace a skilled artist with a button-click solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
I opened the file you attached in Illustrator.
It appears to have been "Image Trace" and not "Expanded".
The expanded file is now 7.4MB.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/dc0469b0-d340-4230-443c-5abde1d316c5 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It still seems excessively large and it ties up my programs.  It's still trying to open even in AI.  šŸ˜ž  I have had artists created vector images for me from images and the file size I received is always in the kb.  Can you also remove my image since it says public?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, the expand is very helpful in my learning. šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's possible to make your presented work that small of a file size.
I was able to get it down to about 4.1MB by changing the tracing settings.
Furthermore, you can make it smaller by simplifying the path, but you will lose a lot of detail.

(The data of the public link destination has been deleted.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I will have to keep playing.  I've had artists create vectors (some actually came as ai files) of my dogs. Always under MB And detailed.  Sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you take me through the steps I need to save/export the file as an svg? I wasn't expanding the image, which now I know I need to do that.  But then what?  What steps to save to my computer to open in another program?  Thank you so much.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those image trace workflow always create big files.

You can optimize them by reduce the anchor point amount with the Simplify command or usind a third party plugin like VectorFirstAid (Super Smart Remove).

However, if what you like is the look of these types of images and their weight is a limiting factor, it is best to rasterize the initial result again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, the only purpose to convert big photos to vectors is to print them on VERY big size (e.g. to cover a house wall). In any other case you can add any vector details above the raster image.
If you mainly work in Inkscape, you can just export your designs to AI or EPS or PDF formats and open in AI.

the works of other artist might be of 2 kinds:

1. It was drawn manually, decreasing the amount of colors and details, by comparison with the real photos;

2. Tracing photo with "Low fidelity Photo" or, saying, "16-colors" option.

In any case, tracing the photos will generate too many separate objects with a great amount of anchor points. The vector file size depends on the points amount, so traced photo will be always too big to use it simply.

If you generally work with tablet, you could place the photo as template (you will find this option in the Place window) and draw only needed details using Blob Brush tool. You can adjust it like any drawing tool (size, shape, angle) and change the color (or gradient) any moment. This case you will have only really needed details. And after finishing the work, you can delete the template. File will be much smaller and more editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make a New Photoshop Document and Add a Background. Make another Photoshop archive by choosing File, New. ...

Utilize the Brush Tool to Add Fun Elements to Your Photoshop Logo. ...

Add Text to Your Photoshop Logo. ...

At the point when we are sparing the record unexpectedly (File > Saveā€¦ or File > Save Asā€¦ ) this opens Illustrator's alternatives discourse box. To altogether lessen the document size, untick Create PDF Compatible File and tick Use Compression.

Such choice of choices decreases the document size altogether. In the model we probed a mind boggling vector stock picture.

Utilizing the Create PDF Compatible File alternative might be required in certain territories of plan. For this situation, select it during the last spare (File > Save Asā€¦ ), when the work will be totally prepared. Additionally Create PDF Compatible File alternative will assist you with recouping Illustrator records after an accident. Nonetheless, this recuperation isn't essential on the off chance that you use Autosaviour module, which can make a reinforcement duplicate of the document.

Also see this:

https://guitarindemand.com/

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines