Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting a white image to a vector

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a fairly complicated logo (too complicated to recreate using the pen tool) which I created in Photoshop which I have made into a vector on Illustrator. I need to make this label white without a background. I have tried doing this in illustrator and a white box appears where my image once was. I have also tried inverting the image to black and then using image trace to ignore the white and then inverting it once more (but this deletes my image as my image is white). I've also tried importing my image back into photoshop, creating a white image with a clear background there and exporting it back into illustrator to turn back into a vector but again I get that same white box. Can somebody give me some advice? All I can see is the 'image trace' option or to invert the image and neither of these have worked for me! Thank you ☺️ 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Color it black in Photoshop.

Then trace in Illustrator.

Expand and apply whatever color you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try View > Show Transparency Grid to show white against a transparent background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can either have the image shown as a vector (in grey scale) with the
transparency grid behind or I can have the image shown in pixels (in white)
with the transparency grid behind but I seem to be unable to create a white
vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can create a white vector graphic. You just can't autotrace a white shape on a transparent background. That's just not possible. Color it afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do it in Photoshop as Monika suggested, but you can also select your white image in Illustrator and choose Edit > Edit Colors > Invert Colors.

Image Trace with Ignore White selected and recolor the expanded result with white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color it black in Photoshop.

Then trace in Illustrator.

Expand and apply whatever color you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines