• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting image into shape in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am trying to create a logo for a basketball company in Illustrator 2021 and I'm having trouble producing the image I'd like. I want to take a basketball and convert it into the shape of a house - so the house looks like it's wrapped in basketball texture. I tried the envelope distort (make with top object) but the basketball I am using just becomes a teardrop and does not convert to the house shape correctly. Is there another way to do this? / am I doing something wrong? Please see the attached photos for a clearer description. Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Ciara,

You can try this and see whether that is satisfactory, starting with the basketball and the house that you have, and presuming that the size and shape of the house are as desired (always work on a copy of the original artwork):

1) Reduce the Opacity of the basketball (Transparency palette), then place it on top of the house and move it about/ scale it up to the size (you can change the proportions to a certain degree, so it still looks baseball like) that has it (at least) cover the h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to do with just warping an image around another object. You need to actually re-draw the fills and lines inside the contour of the house. This is about visually matching the proportions more than anything else and things would in fact get even more complicated if you were to mimic the actual surface texture of the ball with its grip bumps and the recesses for the lines. If you really only need your stylized wrapper it should be easy enough to draw juist like you drew the actual ball, only with different shapes, obviously.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ciara,

You can try this and see whether that is satisfactory, starting with the basketball and the house that you have, and presuming that the size and shape of the house are as desired (always work on a copy of the original artwork):

1) Reduce the Opacity of the basketball (Transparency palette), then place it on top of the house and move it about/ scale it up to the size (you can change the proportions to a certain degree, so it still looks baseball like) that has it (at least) cover the house all the way round and has the best fit of (the white parts of) the texture on the house;

2) Return to full (100%) Opacity and Ctrl/Cmd+X+B to move it beneath the house, then also select the house and Pathfinder>Intersect Shape Areas, see link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/cutting-dividing-objects.ug.ht...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Ciara.

Very nice, and good luck further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines