Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy & Paste not always working - randomly

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is a very frustrating bug - around 50% of the times copy & paste won't work. I select an object, press ctrl+C, and then pressing ctrl+V produces nothing as if the clipboard is empty.

I cannot reproduce it as it seems random, sometimes it will copy & paste, sometimes it won't.

This makes working with Illustrator extremely hard.

Might be worth mentioning that copy-pasting from Illustrator into Photoshop resembles the same buggy behavior - it will randomly work or not.

Please advise on how to resolve this.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Have you tried deleting Preference?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Is any clipboard enhancing app installed?

Can you try if turning off the SVG option in Preferences > File Handling and Clipboard helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

wah... thank you sooo much!!! after all the methods I've tried, finally this "turning off the SVG option in Preferences" method can solve my "copy-paste Lag/Bug" problem in my Adobe Illustrator.

thankyu very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Hi! I have the answer.

I am lucky that in my case I use copy paste a lot for drawing everyday so I know exactly when that weird behavior happen.

I uninstall this 3 program to fix the issue,
- chrome remote desktop
- mouse pointer highlighter
- anyViewer

*I installed those program to setup my tablet as secondary monitor, but it doesnt feel good anyway.

Once I uninstalled all of them and restart my Illustrator all working fine. I still don't know what the culprit is, but for my case it must be in one of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Here is an update of my issue of copy and paste in Illustrator.
Have switched keyboard, Now using Logitech keyboard and mouse on the same wireless usb dongle.

I must say, problem is gone.

So maybe this issue also can be caused by keyboard set up..

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Hi @ivobachkov,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind updating the app to v27.2, released recently, and see if that helps?

This generally happens due to third-party application interfering with keyboard shortcuts when working on Illustrator.

Would you mind booting into safe mode (Mac/ Windows) and launching Illustrator to check whether the same behavior is happening?

Also, would you mind confirming the exact version of your Illustrator & OS installed on your machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and which system is this?

Is only the shortcut not working?

Do you have any clipboard enhancement installed in your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator version: CC 23.0.1 (64-bit)

It's mainly the keyboard shortcut, as the copy-paste flyout menu seem to work with much better statistics (although occasionally will also perform with the same bug).

Nope, I have no clipboard enhancements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this problem occur with all Adobe applications or just Illustrator?

Is it just objects? Or does it happen with text as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only with Illustrator. With Photoshop I have no such problems.

I just checked, it doesn't happen to text, Only to objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a different keyboard you can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have another keyboard, but I assume this might not be the issue, since copy-paste keyboard shortcuts work perfectly in other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting Preference?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We are having the same copy and paste issue on 5 systems (PC and Mac's). We have tried deleting the preferences, uninstalling and re-installing Illustrator 23.0.3 (64bit). We currently are using the couple of work arounds that other people have mentioned. eg. duplicate the object or drag n drop the object you want copied from a separate document.

Does anyone know if its been fixed?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evilspam  schrieb

Hi all,

We are having the same copy and paste issue on 5 systems (PC and Mac's). We have tried deleting the preferences, uninstalling and re-installing Illustrator 23.0.3 (64bit). We currently are using the couple of work arounds that other people have mentioned. eg. duplicate the object or drag n drop the object you want copied from a separate document.

Does anyone know if its been fixed?

Thanks

Are these old files or new ones?

Do you have any clipboard enhancements installed in the system?

Which other applications are running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

No clipboard enhancements and the clipboard works with other applications fine. No other apps running other than outlook or Chrome opened.

I've read through various forums about this happening but there seems to be no real fix or no exact reason why it is happening. We have another 5 systems which all work fine so far.

Other things I've tried have been an uninstall, deleting the preference folders as advised on the threads. We've reinstalled a previous version of Illustrator (23.0.2) but also did the same thing. Anyways just seeing if anyone had found a fix.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and relaunch the computer, then run only Illustrator.

Browsers are known to interfere with a lot of things.

What exactly are you copying? Does it work with simple rectangles in a new file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a small video of what is happening. Computer has been restarted and no other programs are open. If anyone sees something I'm doing wrong please throw a brick at me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Is there any fix for that yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Same issue. Is there any fix for that yet?"

Which version, which system?

Is it just the shortcut not working, or also when using the menu?

Is it copy/Paste inside Illustrator or with different applications?

Do you have anything else running besides Illustrator?

There might be processes running in the background that interfere with the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly that. Realy WTF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install kaspersky trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing similar behavior in both Photoshop and Illustrator since updating a few weeks ago. I can ctrl+c 5 times (as I do on instinct at this point) and still get whatever I had copied before when I ctrl+v. I've had this happen occasionally in the past, especially with complicated illustrator files, but now it seems to be rampant across the suite.

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

As of a few days ago the copy paste function in Illustrator is back and working again. I don't think a new update was released so who knows, just glad its working again.

I did install a few programs since I posted the video, not sure if that fixed it.

Annotation 2019-07-03 082422.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not working in Premiere - 13.1.3 - random copy paste errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

This is still not working in Premiere - 13.1.3 - random copy paste errors

Please post to the Premiere forum.

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Adobe problem, as it also happens with Photoshop 5 and Pagemill (yes two old softwares) - no other software. I have tried  Ctrl C & V and the drop down menu. both no good. It seems to happen after the software has been running a while - maybe idle. I have to close everything and start up again then its OK.

Sometimes when it happns in Photoshop I open PAINT (yes PAINT!) and copy and paste just to get the job done.

I thought there might be a key combo that would fix it,  like when your PC overwrites your text (ctrl Insert or is it just Insert?).
I am surpised Adobe (who are  abunch of s**ts for what they did in Venezuela recen tly!!!) would have addressed this bug. 

BTW: Its amazing how many times I go to sites like this and the so called techies no absolutely nothing.
I get more results from guys on youtube even if the heavy Indian accent is hard to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've had this issue for as far as I can remember, always thought it was either my PC or an aging Win10 install acting up, but I formatted and re-installed win10 as well as Illustrator a few days ago, settings are untouched... The issue is pretty bad...

I'll try updating when I have time to do so (I usually don't update software right when an update is available, it's a habit).

Edit : Issue still present, I'm now using Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually can get it to work but I have to use the drop down menus to copy and paste. It's my work around to get the function to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been there for years multiple versions, i did a complete new install new windows 10 and new install adobe programms complete new system. Copy/paste randomly does not work in illustrator/photoshop/indesign/premiere/dreamweaver, pressing CTRL C for 5 or 10 times sometimes helps. Its not the keyboard, and i don't want to delete my settings took me days to get everything right.

I don't understand that adobe can not respons or solve this, we pay a lot of money to use their programs.

It is super annoying when you have a deadline and the program does not do what it is supose to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines