• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/paste pattern fill keeps pasting object with former pattern not new pattern

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a few days I seem to have a problem when I want to copy and paste and object filled with a pattern.

First I make a pattern swatch of a blue and white dot. Then I make a few colour variations of that same dot and make different pattern swatches for each. This is all fine.

I fill my shape with the blue and white dot, copy paste it and change the pattern fill to one of the other patterns I have just created using the swatches. Works fine still.

Then if I copy and paste the object with the new pattern it will paste the object filled with the old blue and white dot and not with the new pattern. That's where it goes wrong!!! What is going on??? It never used to do that.

This happens in the same document and in a new one - so the pattern swatch is already there, besides that it shouldn't matter because it used to automatically paste the new pattern in the pattern swatches if it ws a new document. 

I don't use spot colours, so that is not the problem! I change the colours of the existing pattern and make a new pattern swatch, I've been doing this for years, but it seems like the new swatch isn't working properly now. I'm looking for a solution not a run around.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

I reported it here, where Illustrator engineering is looking for bugs:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43713711-pattern-swatches-behave-unexpectedly-in-25-3-1

Please add your vote and relevant details

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Hi all, 

We have tried to address this issue in our latest release v25.4.1. Please update Illustrator to the latest version to get this fixed. For more details, please refer to this UserVoice page ( https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43713711-pattern-swatches-behave-unexpectedly-in-25-3-1 )

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance, we'd be hapy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, you are surely not stupid 🙂

The problem really exists.
What I found here:
1. if we copy/paste objects one by one, the program remembers the first one and then repeats its pattern for all others

2. if we copy/paste several objects together, the program remembers the appearance of the top object and set it to all others.

Resetting preferences does not help.

The only way I found to go around this is quite weird and I'm not sure that it's very useful 🙂
1. If you fill the objects by any default pattern (from Swatches Panel menu > Open Swatch Library > Patterns > any pattern folder), then the copy/paste operation works fine.

2. If you create a new pattern and set it to object, then immediately copy it to the new file, it also works well. 

But any changes to the existing swatch don't help. 
It's certainly a bug. Report it please here https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika suggested, it looks like a recent bug.

It would be good to share your example file here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43713711-patter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me please!!

I've been working with illustrator for 20 years and never had problems but since about 2 weeks ago when I copy paste an image with a pattern inside it changes color to the next pattern colorway available in my swatches.. Either I copy paste in the same document or if I copy to another document only one of the colorway follows.. Can someone help me fix this??

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention..I use the latest version of Illustrator 25.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!! I'll try to uninstall as mentioned in the other forum post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem Fixed! By uninstalling Illustration 25.3.1 and installing previous version 25.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a pattern for my Vector Illustration course at school, and am running into some trouble. I know to create a pattern you can either go to Object > Pattern > Make or simply drag the artwork into the Swatches panel, but when I do so, my pattern shifts and some of the artwork that was set to 20% Opacity became fully opaque. I have tried many different things to fix this, including rearranging the layers in my Layers panel (as the white artwork lives on its own layer), grouping all of the artwork before creating the pattern, etc. and nothing seems to be working. Below is a photo of my Layers panel, one tile of artwork that I wish to turn into a pattern, and what the artwork looks like after I create the pattern and open it up in the Pattern tool. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Any help (quickly!) would be much appreciated as I need to turn this in as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand this was not build with the pattern tool, but dragged to the swatches panel and then double clicked to open it with the pattern tool?

Before dragging, did you create a rectangle the size of your pattern tile with no fill no stroke at the bottom of your objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, it was not built with the Pattern tool. It was created simply as regular artwork on an artboard in Illustrator. Then I dragged the artwork over to the Swatches panel (or clicked Object > Pattern > Make) and what I screenshotted is what occurred.

I did not create a rectangle the size of my pattern tile with no fill no stroke at the bottom of my objects. I do have a bounding box, yet it has a black stroke and blue fill and consists of the background of my artwork. Do I need to create another bounding box with no fill/no stroke over the artwork, like on the top of the Layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I did what you suggested and added a bounding box to the bottom of the Layers panel behind my artwork and this is what happened after I created the Pattern and it opened in the Pattern tool. The pattern is now seamless, but the white shapes are still there. Whatever is opaque white should be set to 20% Opacity, and I don't know why Illustrator would be changing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the actual Illustrator file, it is hard to tell.

I saw a layer named Depth using Transparency.

What is in that layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that layer is the one that I'm having the problem with. That layer contains the white artwork that is set at 20% Opacity but is showing up in the Pattern tool at 100% Opacity. It's the white shapes in the front. I don't know why the Opacity got changed or how to change it back to 20%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably applied the transparency to the layer instead of the objects on that layer.

Can you select that layer by clicking the circle next to it's name and change the opacity in the Appearance panel back to 100%.

Deselect everything, select the objects on that layer and give the objects a transparency setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having the problem with the new update when they copy something from one file to another, the colour of the brushes change? for example, I copied a vector with 6 different coloured brushes into a new file, and then they all turned pink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a long thread about patterns and I assume the brushes are related: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/copy-paste-pattern-fill-keeps-pasting-object-with-former-...

Are the colors maybe spor or global swatches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are global colours. 

and it only happens when I copy to a new file. not an existing like the link above.

Seems super strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a transparency on these brushes?. I have had the issue with some stock vectors before and I usually flatten the transparency with Preserve Alpha Transparency and Anti-alias rasters ticked. Either that or check one document isn's in different modes like RGB and CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

We have tried to address this issue in our latest release v25.4.1. Please update Illustrator to the latest version to get this fixed. For more details, please refer to this UserVoice page ( https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43713711-patter... )

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance, we'd be hapy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines