• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Paste w/ Inconsistent Results

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a relatively new user so forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong.

I'm working in a single file and creating multiple iterations while exploring a design.  To keep the file organized, I'm copying layers onto fresh artboards with each iteration. However one layer in particular isn't maintaining the structure of it's sub-layers (while all the others work just fine), resulting in broken clipping masks among other problems. "Paste Remembers Layers" is unchecked so that's not the issue.

Screencap of me copying, the green layers are the structure I expect to replicate on the next artboard:

Screenshot_1.png

Screencap of me pasting the results.  Right away we see the clipping masks are broken, and the sub-layers are no longer structured as they were. Comparatively, this does not occur when copying and pasting Jelly or the button. Also worth pointing out that the new layer is suddenly marked with an underline as though it were a clipping mask:

Screenshot_2.png

My first solution was to avoid this be duplicating artboards entirely using the Artboard panel, but that creates a whole mess of duplicate objects within the layers themselves and also breaks , rather than creating new / duplicate layers, so I'm not exploring that as an option at the moment (though I'll take any advice on that front as well - this feature seems woefully broken to me to the point that I assume I've missed something).

Screenshot_3.png

To recap:

1. How can I get the copy and paste to work on "ninja" like it does on "jelly" and the button layers.
  2. The duplicate artboard feature seems either broken or just a terrible UX by default, is there something I'm missing to make it a true duplicate?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Hi David,

It is certainly a bug.

Copy paste or grouping should never change the stacking order of objects or release clipping masks.

You can mention it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

and also refer to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on Paste Remembers Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but no luck.  "Paste Remembers Layers" creates the same issue as outright duplicate the artboard, ie. the objects are copied into their existing layer structure rather than into the new / empty layer.

I turned the option in and here are the results. Even with "layer 13" selected as the desired destination, it forces the pasted elements into the previous "ninja" layer. Also note that the clipping masks broke when compared to previous screencaps.

Screenshot_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add that the clipping masks are not causing the issues. The problem persists even if they are deleted entirely before copying ans pasting - the sub-layer structure is obliterated when pasted and the destination layer is inexplicably marked as a clipping layer (when Paste Remembers Layers is turned off).

Download: Dropbox - mockup01.ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than "Copy/Paste" try Option+Dragging the Layer in the Layer Panel, then dragging it into position. This will not disturb your Layer Mask.

I see two Layer Clipping Masks on one layer in your screen capture. This may be your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was going to suggest the same thing. Option Drag works so much better in the layers panel than copy/paste to me/ Things get duplicated in the exact same position and keep all of their properties in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can work in a pinch though I need to then recreate the positioning of the elements which is time consuming. For a screen mockup, I need to maintain the relationships of the elements to each other, which is why I'm using paste in place for the second artboard.

As the title of this thread calls out, it is behaving inconsistently. Copying and pasting preserves the sub-layer hierarchy one one series of layers (the "jelly" layers in this case), while it breaks down completely on the other (the "ninja" layers as depicted). I want to know why this is happening and how to get consistent results rather than workarounds, because I know it can and does work, just not consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any clipboard enhancements installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fresh install, no enhancements or addons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

This is a fresh install, no enhancements or addons.

I'm not talking about Illustrator, but your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So was I. Windows 10, fresh install on new laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot really figure out what causes the problem, but I can see that the stacking order of groups and objects gets messed up when copy/paste or grouping is used.

If I make the Ninja objects into a Symbol, it behaves, even after breaking the link to the symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton.  I'll use this workaround for the time being, but I'm hesitant to write it off as "correct" since this is looking more and more like a outright bug. Frustrating since I'm a relatively new user and was placing the blame on myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

It is certainly a bug.

Copy paste or grouping should never change the stacking order of objects or release clipping masks.

You can mention it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

and also refer to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build up one of these, Use the Artboard tool and Option+Drag the artboard to completely duplicate that artboard, contents and all. Sort out the pieces and parts in the layers panel and then do your changes to the second one. It's not optimal, but it creates the second artboard, everything is in the exact placement you want and you can at least move forward for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines