• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying and Pasting content with transparency from Photoshop into Illustrator

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I wasn't able to find a solution.

Every time I copy pixel data with transparency from Photoshop into illustrator, it is filled with a white background. Is there any way to copy and paste into Illustrator without this happening?

For example, say I have a doodle done in Photoshop that I want to incorporate into an Illustrator layout. I select said layer the doodle lives on, hit ctrl/cmd-c, and then select my target document and hit ctrl/cmd-v. The exact visual information is transferred into the new layer with no noticeable changes. However, in illustrator, the transparent info would be lost, and replaced with white.

I know how to place files with transparency, but that's WAY slower and requires otherwise unnecessary file management.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, sorry. Photoshop and Illustrator have different nature, you can't copy/paste the raster image with transparent. It will be "flatten" during the operation. You can only copy/paste vector objects - they will be added to your document like editable paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. Thanks for the prompt answer tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dr+Missile  wrote

Bummer. Thanks for the prompt answer tho.

Hmm, that's not my experience at all.

Red-filled square on an otherwise transparent layer in Photoshop, marquee-selected thusly:

Copied and pasted atop a gray-filled rectangle on my Illustrator artboard:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it depends on the versions of the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that is more of a bounding area issue of the copied content... if that shape were a circle, would you not see white pixels that fill the transparent areas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dr+Missile  wrote

I'm guessing that is more of a bounding area issue of the copied content... if that shape were a circle, would you not see white pixels that fill the transparent areas?

No, if it contains transparent or semi transparent areas, they will be transparent when pasted into Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this works on mac but it doesn't on windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did you find a solution ?
This is a painfull bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines