Highlighted

Corrupt / Damaged file. Illustrator 2020 crashes while saving a specific file on macOS Catalina.

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I haven't been able to use Illustrator due to it crashing every time I try to save the recovered file from the first time it crashed. I re open the program and the save thing happens again on a loop. 

I've updated to the latest version. Not sure what else I can do, can anyone help?

This is the error message that is produced:

Process:               Adobe Illustrator [24097]
Path:                  /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2020/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator
Identifier:            com.adobe.illustrator
Version:               24.1.2 (24.1.2)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Adobe Illustrator [24097]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-05-05 18:48:22.755 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     4.2 (17P3050)
Anonymous UUID:        F3F08748-63BF-DE05-BDE8-5CF6C21765FF

Sleep/Wake UUID:       1AC0A428-16DB-4106-B079-F7DEFDA3CA1E

Time Awake Since Boot: 220000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       430 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000090
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [24097]

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Corrupt / Damaged file. Illustrator 2020 crashes while saving a specific file on macOS Catalina.

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I haven't been able to use Illustrator due to it crashing every time I try to save the recovered file from the first time it crashed. I re open the program and the save thing happens again on a loop. 

I've updated to the latest version. Not sure what else I can do, can anyone help?

This is the error message that is produced:

Process:               Adobe Illustrator [24097]
Path:                  /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2020/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator
Identifier:            com.adobe.illustrator
Version:               24.1.2 (24.1.2)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Adobe Illustrator [24097]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-05-05 18:48:22.755 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     4.2 (17P3050)
Anonymous UUID:        F3F08748-63BF-DE05-BDE8-5CF6C21765FF

Sleep/Wake UUID:       1AC0A428-16DB-4106-B079-F7DEFDA3CA1E

Time Awake Since Boot: 220000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       430 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000090
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [24097]

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 05, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to save any documents? Is the issue isolated to trying to save just that one document?

can you try copying all of the artwork into a new file and then saving that file instead of trying to save the original file?

it sounds as though there's something corrupted inside the file. Sometimes just duplicating all the art into a new document solves this.. If that doesn't work, then you may need to start systematically removing portions and then trying to save the file, until you see the behavior change.. for example, if you have 5 layers, you can delete all the artwork on layer 1, and then try and save the document. If it saves, then you know something on layer 1 was causing the crash. If it crashes, then open up the recovered file again, and try with layer 2. repeat the process until you see a change in behavior, then analyze the problem art to figure out why it may be causing issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply! In response to your questions:

It seems like the issue is just related to the one document I keep trying to recover (in various ways - I have tried saving as and renaming). When I copy all the artwork into a new file the program also crashes so you're right something is definitely corrupted inside that particular artwork. I can't debug too much as there is only one layer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still do the same debugging technique I layed out even if there's only one layer. 

Replace the term "layer" with "container". Containers are any object that hold child objects. Layer, groupItem, compoundPathItem, clipGroup.

Just delete containers one at a time and then attempt to save. repeat the process until the document saves.

You could also employ a sort of binary search tree method to this. Delete all of the first half of the artwork (when I say half I mean choose approximately half of the items in the layers panel and delete them) then try to save. Then try the second half. This will either show a problem in one specific "half" or it will show that you have problems in both.

If you identify one portion of the art that has the problem, repeat the process of cutting that group in half until you isolate one or more specific problem items.. 

This isn't fast or easy, but in my experience it's the only way. Hope this helps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 1
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it do the same if you use Save As and rename the file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the program crashes as well. Please see the post above 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the crashing. In addition to the steps shared by William and Larry, did you try saving the file as PDF/ EPS/ SVG?
If that doesn't help either, you may share the file with us. I can try to recover that at my end. Simply upload the file to the Creative Cloud (or similar service) and share the download link via DM.

You may also try the steps shared on this help article and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0