Highlighted

corrupt files?

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtually all of my .ai files open with a new dialog and then gives me a blank page. Trying to open any of these same files that I had previously exported to .pdf's tells me there's a postscript issue. This is the error I get when attempting to use PS to open.Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.13.12 PM.png

Topics

Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

corrupt files?

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtually all of my .ai files open with a new dialog and then gives me a blank page. Trying to open any of these same files that I had previously exported to .pdf's tells me there's a postscript issue. This is the error I get when attempting to use PS to open.Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.13.12 PM.png

Topics

Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to upload one file gets me this messageScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 6.41.46 PM.png from this board:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Photoshop opens only eps file not ai .... this reason check it .... regards

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lambiloon

Thanks, My real problem is that AI will not open any of the files. I was using PS as an example. When I open a document that I've used in theScreen Shot 2020-07-01 at 7.05.47 AM.png past in AI it just opens a blank page. as if all of the data was deleted. I now get this dialog when opening, something I've never seen before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many KB are the files on your harddisk?

How did you save them - do they still open in Acrobat?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika

They vary between 1.1mb and 3.4mb. I save them as .ai files and if I have to export I will make .pdf's. Neither will open at this point. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't sound good.

Where do you save files?

If on a network, can you try and first download and then open them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep them on my main HD, with backups on two other drives. Automatically backup nightly. I have not looked that BU's but I suspect they will have the same thing since copies are made each night. But that reminds me I have time machine and will go back to see if I can pre-date their corruption. But they could become corrupted again since I have not solved the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only some files, or all?

And if only these specific files, what is different to the other ones?

What's in these files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most files, there are a few that seem to be OK and I do not know why. All of the files were created as .ai files. They are labels for my company. I created all of them from scratch, using fonts found within Illustrator (Poirot). Everything has been working fine till last week when they would open with the dialog I posted above but the document was blank. I am hoping that there is a white layer over everything but I'm not facile enough with Illustrator to discover it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Dialog you show above something got messed up with the files. It no longer registers as an AI file. Can you try opening one of the files with Text Edit (or make it available on a file sharing site like Dropbox) and post a Screenshot of the first few lines?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy corrupt files batman! it's blank too. WTF happened to my files?Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 4.43.56 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking further afield, I'm finding more than .ai and .pdf's gone bad. some .jpg's as well, but not all of them, not sure this is an Adobe issue anymore but maybe an apple issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I think I'm going to shut down and run a full scan of my HD with TechTool Pro. It'll take a few days. Something is very rotten in my Apple. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe, who maintained innocence and gave me no help except to say that if I had stored them in their cloud (and paid the monthly fee) I would have been saved.  But instead, I have to recreate hundreds of hours of work. No explanation as to why some were OK and most were not. Sad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a harddisk goes bad, this might happen.

Use Apples Disk tool to check.

Before you let third party tools check things, macke sure that they are 100% compatible with your system. Otherwise they might ruin even more.

Also: never use "disk space optimizers". Never ever. Mac OS does this on its own.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Monika

The hard drive is brand new, upgraded to an SSD drive. I've been using tech tool pro for years, they are the premier disk tool check. You are correct, no need to defrag a  drive, have not done that in many years. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines