• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not find the Linked File - Mac and PC

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having issues with broken links between Mac and PC in my adobe apps (Indesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro). We have one iMac and one Windows PC acessing a server. 

The problem is the images we “link” within the file. We have to “re-link” the file each time one person opens it on a different computer. 

When we embed the file, it works just fine, and opening the files within the "recent" files works with no problem.

The PC sees the linked file as Z:/ Graphics/18-006/Images

And the Mac the linked file as /Volume/Server/ Graphics/18-006 / Images

The disconnect seems to be happening where the PC is seeing the Mac "Server" as Z:

Any help would be AMAZING! 

TOPICS
Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Illustrator likes the linked images in the same folder as the AI file in a folder called "Links". If you link them from other locations then unfortunately you will always end up with the situation you have now

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator likes the linked images in the same folder as the AI file in a folder called "Links". If you link them from other locations then unfortunately you will always end up with the situation you have now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the exact same folder as the AI file, put a folder called "Links" where all of the images will be held?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHOA! IT WORKED!!! Thanks a million! Lets hope it works in Premiere Pro...fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that seems to be the solution that lots of people mark as correct. And for large projects where you have many documents going on at the same time while still developing a brand look and feel this solution is just plain bad. Not only that, but if you have storage concerns, then all of your documents either end up with duplicates of the same files in every folder OR you have All of your indesign and illustrator files in one folder, with a links folder inside that folder containing every single linked objects in one giant flat folder. Well, no one I've found likes that, so everyone just lives with having duplicates everywhere. And if someone updates something like a logo color slightly, and that logo is in every links folder that exists, then you either have to search out and replace them all, or not realize that and end up having a bunch of "final" documents that turn out to be incorrect.

It's Really annoying that Premiere and After Effects both use relative paths to find anything, and do so successfully, but InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop do not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika said for AI, the same goes for INDD. If the linked files are in the same folder as the document you are working on, it should find the links automatically on opening. 

While many suggest the use of a "Links Folder" for your images I personally do that at the completion of the project when I Package the job for output, transfer or archiving. This makes a tidied up final directory with all elements for the job in one place.

However while working on multiple workstations can cause link loss from machine to machine, if you keep the AI or INDD file in a directory with all the linked files/images etc., loose in the same directory then the AI or INDD file sees these links without issue on opening, no matter which machine opens the document.

I recommend copying the links to the folder rather than using links from other directories unless storage is a problem. With a server that's not usually the case but then again, I have no idea of the size the files you use.

Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight, I'll keep all of this in mind!

We just had an "Images" folder outside of the AI files folder. Now time to do some organizing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines