• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Count of Selected Anchorpoints

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where in the Illustrator Interface can I see a count of selected Anchorpoints ?

So when I make a marquee selection using the Lasso tool on 2 overlapping anchor points, I can see info like ` 2 anchor points selected ` or something like that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

- Direct select some anchor points.
- Object menu > Path > Simplify
- In the Simplify dialog turn on the preview.
- Get the number of selected anchor points where it says "Original:"

- Cancel the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Hi

I read this post yesterday and tried to create an script to count anchors. Obviously I did not make much tests against all kinds of Illustrator objects (I´ve just written today), but, selecting simple paths or selecting anchors with Direct Select Tool should count properly.

You could try by downloading the script from my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zble31oxppbmnd/illustrator_count_anchors.zip?dl=0

I tried to create a floating panel, so it could be placed aside the artboards and you cou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document info panel unfortunately doesn't count only selected points.

Maybe there's a script.

Until then: the plugin VectorScribe does:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-13 um 12.03.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

somewhat trivial with a script.. a quick bit of pseudo-code:

var totalPoints = 0;

function digRecursivelyToFindPathPoints()

for each item in selection

if item.typename === "PathItem"

totalPoints += item.pathPoints.length

else if item.typename === "CompoundPathItem"

duplicate item to a sandbox layer

break compound path and ungroup all resulting children until nothing is left but simple pathItems

for each pathItem in the compoundPath

totalPoints += pathItem.pathPoints

remove sandbox layer and duplicated artwork

else if item.typename === "GroupItem"

pass this item back into the recursive function

alert("there are " + totalPoints + " path points in the current selection.

The above would give all of the anchor points given one or more selected objects.. But it doesn' thelp with identifying which pathPoints are selected.. fortunately there is indeed a "selected" property of the pathPoint object, so we could simply add another loop to check each pathpoint of a selected path to see if the point itself is selected..

This isn't terribly efficient though, as it's entirely possible for a shape to have many thousands of anchor points, and I'm not sure how to optimize this beyond checking every single one of them.. But at the very least, selecting one pathPoint of a pathItem does place that whole pathItem into the document.selection array.. So we would only be checking pageItems that actually do have something selected and ignoring the rest... So that's a bit of efficiency gain i guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Direct select some anchor points.
- Object menu > Path > Simplify
- In the Simplify dialog turn on the preview.
- Get the number of selected anchor points where it says "Original:"

- Cancel the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Forum have builtin Artificial Intelligence Support, Cuz the above message was marked as the correct answer, before I had a chance to visit the Forum. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators can mark posts as correct. As can some other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be simpler if this info was displayed in the "info" panel? Just wondering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

user620,

someone marked my answer as correct.

I can understand that it may be a bit vexing because you are the person who posted the initial request.

Therefore I just unmarked it as such thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the given answers, yours is the best. So I can't agree more with the person who marked it correct.

As a newbie to Adobe forums, I didn't know anyone besides the OP could mark a post as correct. Hence posted a reply about possible intervention by Artificial Intelligence.

Besides, I found the simplify menu item very useful in my workflow. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I read this post yesterday and tried to create an script to count anchors. Obviously I did not make much tests against all kinds of Illustrator objects (I´ve just written today), but, selecting simple paths or selecting anchors with Direct Select Tool should count properly.

You could try by downloading the script from my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zble31oxppbmnd/illustrator_count_anchors.zip?dl=0

I tried to create a floating panel, so it could be placed aside the artboards and you could acess this anytime you want. 

Again, it's just an experimental script to help. Let me know if this does work or not work!!

P.s.: this time, in order to count anchors, a refresh button in panel must be pressed. Perhaps there's a way to the panel interactivelly update automatically the counting of anchors based on selection, but I must make some tests to prove if this behaviour is really possible.

But, it's an starting point at least 🙂

Tell me if this is useful for you.

Gustavo.

count.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola Gustavo,

First, thanks for this genius option, it's a good to have feature.
It seems to me, that your plugin is not able to count grouped lines which has more than 1100 anchorpoints

May I ask, if you developed this amazing product further, or it is still available only in the 1.0 version?

Thanks again, 
Have a great day
Nestor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nestor

Thank you a lot for your feedback. The script is still in version 1.0, since my use is very simple...for counting a selected number of anchors. So it fit my needs!

Do a test for me, please: if you ungroup the lines, then select them and ask the script to count anchors...does it work?

Good day for you!

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gustavo, 

Sorry, I just realized your message

Thanks for getting back to me

I tried both to select - grouped, ungrouped - it just unfortunately does not seems to react

But probably there is a "limit" how the script handle the execution, maybe?

Anyway, for "simple" shapes works for me

Please, let me know, if you have further improvements - who knows, you might want to develop it later for some reason...

Keep in touch and have a great day

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles

Thank you for your feedback!!!

Would it be possible to send a copy of these lines or shapes as .AI file, so I could try some experiments here?

Best regards

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gustavo,

Hope you have a great day

Weird thing happened, since the latest version of Illustrator your script works wonderful, no issue at all

(ungrouped only) Lines - shapes both perfect

Unfortunately I cant attach the artwork, it's my client's work, and still confidential

But I believe, thats a good news

Anyway, Im happy to test other (or the same upgraded) scripts in Illustrator

Just let me know

Keep in touch

Regards

Charles 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines