• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create grout spacing

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two different objects that I would like to repeat with equal sapcing to layout a tile floor. I have found myself spending a long time trying to space out each of the tiles correctly. Is there some way to assign a specific distance between the objects? I'm sure that there is an easier way to accomplish my goal that I simply don't know about.Cross Tiles-01.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

2020-07-11_15-21-26.jpg

I'd recommend starting with your two main shapes and using the Align panel. When they are both selected and you have Align To set to Key Object, Illustrator will make the highlight stroke thicker on the key object. Then you can enter a distance and click whether you want to distribute the spacing vertically or horizontally. Illustrator will move the other selected object in relation to the key object. The value will be a negative number because the shape is crossing over the other shape's bound

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2020-07-11_15-21-26.jpg

I'd recommend starting with your two main shapes and using the Align panel. When they are both selected and you have Align To set to Key Object, Illustrator will make the highlight stroke thicker on the key object. Then you can enter a distance and click whether you want to distribute the spacing vertically or horizontally. Illustrator will move the other selected object in relation to the key object. The value will be a negative number because the shape is crossing over the other shape's bounding box.

2020-07-11_15-46-22.jpg

You could group these two shapes, Alt (PC)/Option(macOs) + drag that group down to duplicate it, align their centers, and set the spacing again.

2020-07-11_15-47-03.jpg

Group that set and do the same thing again but drag it out horizontally.

2020-07-11_15-31-45.jpg

Ungroup and select (or use the Direct Selection tool to select) the lower right shape and change its color. This group is your repeating pattern (if I understand what you want it to look like).

2020-07-11_15-36-10.jpg

Select these objects and go to Object > Pattern > Make. Use the Tile Type called Grid. Make sure Move Tile with Art is selected and in the Width and Height fields, enter the amount behind the current value. In this case, I use -17 pts for the vertical space, so after the width of 83.1647 pt, I'd type in -17. Illustrator will do the math for me. Do the same thing with your value for the height. Click Done when your pattern looks good to you. Then you can draw out a rectangle and apply the pattern from the Swatches panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines