Highlighted

Create objects/layers from a flat image

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I was wondering if you could help or point me to a tutorial. ..

My daughter drew an image that I would like to try to animate in Character Animator.

I saved as an Illustrator file but it is flat (only one layer).

What is the best way to select the eyes, ears, mouth, etc, into objects and layers so I could then import into Animator and make it talk, etc?

I am using the latest version of both Iluustrator and Character Animator (2020).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra_Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

Maybe this will help more. Here's a link to how the puppet should be set up including the naming. https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-character-animator/using/prepare-artwork.html

Topics

Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create objects/layers from a flat image

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I was wondering if you could help or point me to a tutorial. ..

My daughter drew an image that I would like to try to animate in Character Animator.

I saved as an Illustrator file but it is flat (only one layer).

What is the best way to select the eyes, ears, mouth, etc, into objects and layers so I could then import into Animator and make it talk, etc?

I am using the latest version of both Iluustrator and Character Animator (2020).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra_Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

Maybe this will help more. Here's a link to how the puppet should be set up including the naming. https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-character-animator/using/prepare-artwork.html

Topics

Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use the Illustrator file as a puppet for Character Animator, you'll need to set up the layers to be the various parts. Here's a video tutorial from Dave Werner on how to do that. Check out more of his videos on his channel Okay Samurai for more info on using Character Animator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra! I appreciate your response. I am looking at the video but he seems to describe using one of the templates with the files ready for editing and movement.  However, I am using a flat file  (he mentioned that he wouldn't start from scratch). I guess I want to start from scratch and animate my daughter's image. Is that even possible? Thank again. From what I've seen, this video is very helpful!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
stwoods LATEST
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Myra! I think this helps a lot. Using this predefined template in my drawing. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines